Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Dove hunting?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 323
posted
Went out this morning got a late start ended up getting 7 of them. They are not flying like they were last year. I'm assuming it is because of all the rain in the last couple of weeks. So there is water everywhere in the desert. Hoping with all the hunters out tommorrow will be pushing them off the San Pedro. I still managed to shoot a coupleof boxes of shells for 7 birds.

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two of my buddies and I went out on the first, we ended up with 42 birds by 10:00a.m. on public land. I shot my first double ever and one of my buddies shot a dove with a band on it. I shot two boxes and just started on my third before I was limited out. It was a good opener and I hope to get out some more before pheasant and quail open. Esox357

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep. Me and my hunting partner limited out with 30 this morning. It was a pretty fun time, took us about 2 hours.

Posts: 217 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 29 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Hunted opening evening and Sunday evening at my father's farm. Took a 15 bird limit each time in about 1 hour. His place always has birds as it sits between a roost and water and has a bit of feed he plants each year for the dove.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
323, Yup! Been hunting 3 times now, 1st was on public land with about 500 hunters on maybe 90 acres, I didn't do much shooting but we had fun teasing the guys that missed and cheering the guys that connected! 2nd was at a gravel pit that is hit or miss, we missed, sat for 2 hours and only saw 1 dove, 3rd was this morning, we had a blast! Private land and 3 of us got like 15 doves, but it was great as I was with my 74 year old Dad and my best friend. we had a blast! Anymore it's not how many you get so much as it's the fresh air you get!!! Joe

Posts: 185 | Location: ohio | Registered: 13 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hunted Saturday here in Virginia, great cooler weather, mixed clouds most of the day, good number of birds with most later in the day, not as many as last year. Dropped some, missed, some......you know the drill. Wink

Posts: 23 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 04 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Getting limits most everyday ever since opening day. Opening day was my worst exhibition of shooting this year. Even the dog was discouraged with me. I am still trying to figure out how all those Dove kept flying off with their hearts shot out. bewildered Lawdog
wave

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lawdog,

Where the hell are you getting limits at? I went up to my regular spot on the Sac River out of Ord Bend on Saturday and only saw about 10 doves all afternoon. Pretty slow.

NoCAL

Posts: 167 | Location: Woodland, CA USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
Hunting down here this year is real bad it has been raining almost everyday. Last year we limited out everyday. This year you are lucky to get 5 or 6. We can only hunt until noon in the southern zone. The dove fly better in the afternoon.

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goosejoe:
323, Yup! Been hunting 3 times now, 1st was on public land with about 500 hunters on maybe 90 acres, I didn't do much shooting but we had fun teasing the guys that missed and cheering the guys that connected! 2nd was at a gravel pit that is hit or miss, we missed, sat for 2 hours and only saw 1 dove, 3rd was this morning, we had a blast! Private land and 3 of us got like 15 doves, but it was great as I was with my 74 year old Dad and my best friend. we had a blast! Anymore it's not how many you get so much as it's the fresh air you get!!! Joe

That is the good thing about dove hanging out with friends. Don't have to worry about scaring anything off and giving everyone a hard time aboutmissing birds that is the best part.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NoCAL:
Lawdog,

Where the hell are you getting limits at? I went up to my regular spot on the Sac River out of Ord Bend on Saturday and only saw about 10 doves all afternoon. Pretty slow.

NoCAL

We have been hunting the same water holes on a friends sheep ranch southwest of Corning for over 20 years. Lawdog
wave

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like fun. I'm focusing on salmon the rest of the fall.

NoCAL

Posts: 167 | Location: Woodland, CA USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been doing pretty well around here. I bought one of those decoys with the wings that move with the wind. I works very well. Have been getting a lot of one hour or less limits (10 birds) in the evening.

Also found a real hot spot. Weather is turning sour here and the doves will head south in short order.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
If I remember right you can't use decoys for dove hunting or and you can't use bait ie, bird feed. Last year they caught some guys in Yuma baiting. They were throwing out corn couple of days before the season started and got busted.

John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can't bait for migratory birds. In Washington you can't use any motorized decoys, aka MOJO duck, dove etc.

Chic Worthing

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
Now that makes sense no motorized gizmo, going to half to look into one of those devices you got where did you get it at? but I will half to get the regs out and check for there use down here in Arizona. We talked to a game warden and he said the Nov hunt is going to be better. I hope he is right but unfortunately it starts during the 1st couse deer season and I will be out with my two boys trying to find them a deer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
I have been doing pretty well around here. I bought one of those decoys with the wings that move with the wind. I works very well. Have been getting a lot of one hour or less limits (10 birds) in the evening.

Also found a real hot spot. Weather is turning sour here and the doves will head south in short order.

Haven't seen those decoys, where did you get them? Lawdog
wave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got it at WalMart. It is wind driven. So if it is calm, it does nothing. With just a slight breeze, the wings just purr. They look just like a mojo dove, only they are $9.98

Chic Worthing

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
I got it at WalMart. It is wind driven. So if it is calm, it does nothing. With just a slight breeze, the wings just purr. They look just like a mojo dove, only they are $9.98

Thank You. I'll look for them. Lawdog
wave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Season finally opened the 23rd in south Texas. There were 10 of us and we all limited out Fri. and Sat. , 12 per day. We cooked 50 doves last night on the pit along with cabbage, beans, potatoes and stuffed jalepenos (and a few beers Roll Eyes ). Just a fantastic weekend but damn it was hot!!!! It was 104F Fri. afternoon...hunting in shorts..!!!

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunted labor day weekend north of Abilene, Texas. I could hardly believe the whitewings! Five years ago, no one had ever seen a whitewing in that country. We lucked into a flyway just outside of a small town and the birds rivaled flocks I've seen in Mexico. Talked to my friend who is a resident of the small town and he says that the birds have moved on as of now and mourning doves are also scarce. We need a good norther to push some of the Kansas and NE doves south.

BTW, I shot a 28 gauge and did well. I discovered long ago when it comes to doves that where you shoot matters more than what you shoot. Shooting a 28, I end the day with both my hearing and my shoulder more or less in tact.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek,

quote:
BTW, I shot a 28 gauge and did well. I discovered long ago when it comes to doves that where you shoot matters more than what you shoot. Shooting a 28, I end the day with both my hearing and my shoulder more or less in tact.

Me too. At times while hunting I think back to when I first started hunting birds and my Grandfather gave me his old "Long Tom" 12 ga. single shot. A 36" extra full choke barrel with a 3†chamber and even with field loads it kicked like a mule(still does). What I really wanted was a side by side or pump like my friends had. I can still remember that us kids used to laugh at all the other kids that had to use 16 ga. or smaller shotguns. We considered it un-manly to use such small shotguns. Now I find myself grabbing my .410 bore or 28 ga. for dove/quail hunting and my 20 ga. for most everything else(except waterfowl). It only takes a long day hunting waterfowl to make me appreciate my small ga. shotguns. Lawdog
wave

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lawdog_Gary:
I can still remember that us kids used to laugh at all the other kids that had to use 16 ga. or smaller shotguns. We considered it un-manly to use such small shotguns. Lawdog
wave

I started my son off with a .410 when he was seven. Soon, he graduated to a 20 gauge and as soon as he could mount a full-length stock he was wanting to shoot my 12 gauge O/U. He shot the twelve for a few years during his teens until he realized that hitting the birds was more important than being "macho". Then he started asking for my twenty O/U. His grandfather left him a 28 gauge Winchester 101, which, now that he is thirty, he has begun to fully appreciate. Smart kid; it took me until I was past 40 to figure out that a 28 makes the most efficient dove-whacker you can have.

I spent what seems like decades shooting a twelve gauge "blunderbuss" and bringing down an occassional bird with a piece of shot in one wing. At the same time, I watched, mystified, while my father-in-law always seemed to fold every dove dead in mid-air with his 28, or sometimes a 20, using #8's or #9's, and further away than my 12 with 6's or 7.5's seemed to reach. Finally learned that "it's not what you shoot, but where you shoot that counts".

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:
Originally posted by Lawdog_Gary:
I can still remember that us kids used to laugh at all the other kids that had to use 16 ga. or smaller shotguns. We considered it un-manly to use such small shotguns. Lawdog
wave

I started my son off with a .410 when he was seven. Soon, he graduated to a 20 gauge and as soon as he could mount a full-length stock he was wanting to shoot my 12 gauge O/U. He shot the twelve for a few years during his teens until he realized that hitting the birds was more important than being "macho". Then he started asking for my twenty O/U. His grandfather left him a 28 gauge Winchester 101, which, now that he is thirty, he has begun to fully appreciate. Smart kid; it took me until I was past 40 to figure out that a 28 makes the most efficient dove-whacker you can have.

I spent what seems like decades shooting a twelve gauge "blunderbuss" and bringing down an occassional bird with a piece of shot in one wing. At the same time, I watched, mystified, while my father-in-law always seemed to fold every dove dead in mid-air with his 28, or sometimes a 20, using #8's or #9's, and further away than my 12 with 6's or 7.5's seemed to reach. Finally learned that "it's not what you shoot, but where you shoot that counts".

Amen brother. thumb Lawdog
wave

one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
Well the second season started on the 18th went out this afternoon with a freind and we limited out in an hour. The game warden was right the dove are thick down here we saw at least a couple of hundred. I shot a lot of young ones. It was a heck of lot better than the 1st season there hasn't been any rain for at least a month and half. I really need to invest in a better shotgun my old mossberg is giving me fits. I don't want to use my 12 cause it beats the crap out of me so I use my 20.

posted Hide Post
It's funny, Dad and I shot opening day (sep 1st) this year up in the Sac valley over harvested Safflower. Sept 1st wasn't that great but we managed 3 limits in 2 days. We went back to the same area where in 2004, late season, we limited out by 8:30am, this year's second season we got all of 3 birds by 8:30. I had to bail, but dad stayed till 9:30 and got no more. It was odd. The weather was nice in the area we hunted, with a late Indian Summer going on and last year it was foggy and cold and we actually did better last year than this year.

We probably could have gotten a few more birds if we'd been paying more attention, but they were flying high and generally being unpredictable. There's always next year.

Vince

Posts: 4 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 30 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sargenv:
It's funny, Dad and I shot opening day (sep 1st) this year up in the Sac valley over harvested Safflower. Sept 1st wasn't that great but we managed 3 limits in 2 days. We went back to the same area where in 2004, late season, we limited out by 8:30am, this year's second season we got all of 3 birds by 8:30. I had to bail, but dad stayed till 9:30 and got no more. It was odd. The weather was nice in the area we hunted, with a late Indian Summer going on and last year it was foggy and cold and we actually did better last year than this year.

We probably could have gotten a few more birds if we'd been paying more attention, but they were flying high and generally being unpredictable. There's always next year.

Vince

Same story here. No birds during the late season. Was hoping for better results. Busting the Quail though. Lots of coveys all over. Both Mountain and Valley. Lawdog
thumb