Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Bird Hunting Boots?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Joe R. Lock
posted
I have been pursuing the perfect bird hunting boots all of my life. I have never found the perfect pair as it seems that no matter what you use, there is always a compromise. I started out with the famous Maine Hunting Shoe from L.L. Bean. They were ok, but hot in warm weather and they tended to wear out where the leather met the rubber. A pair of Cabelas leather Gore-Tex were nice, but wore out too fast. My Michael McIntosh Bird Shooters custom made by Russell fit really nice, but do not keep water out and they have gotten way too heavy over the years. The best I have so far are Danner Sharptails. They are very light weight, keep you dry, seem to be pretty rugged and fit very well. I believe they have been discontinued, but the Danner Pronghorns should be pretty similar. I just got a pair of NOS Browning Kangaroo leather boots off the Bay but have not tried them out yet. I also have a pair of standard Danner Gore-Tex (bought them slightly used so I don't have a model name) that I hve yet to try.
So what are your favorite boots and why?
joe

Posts: 236 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends where you hunt. Up here there's lots of water so I wear Lacrosse or Mucks. Out west there's no water so I wear Pronghorns.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
If there isnt water use the ligthest possible like the HITECS KAROO or similar .With humid terrain any ligth SALOMON or HITEC .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russell South 40 BirdShooter. Expensive at $515 but they are custom made for your foot by an American Company and they will last forever. I have a pair that is over 10 years old and still going strong. Quality boot but take almost 20-30 weeks wait time for your boot. They have an extensive website.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I have worn through a couple of pair of Browning Kangaroos. Very comfortable boots for my foot shape. Currently wearing a pair of Russell Birdshooter 40's I had made out of some elephant hide from a hunt in Zim. Great story, better boot...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
Seriously tough question! There isn't a month of the year l don't hunt, so my boots do cop a genuine hiding.
Name a leather boot and chances are they wouldn't survive more than 6mths in saline muddy swamps, the salt destroys them, rubber boots are the ticket but they are way too hot in my neck of the woods. Material boots are generally too cold in freezing rivers, but more friendly to blood stains, drying out and getting wet on a weekly basis, once again they are only good for one season in my experiences.
Scarpas, Solomans, Meindels are all good quality but high maintenance and they don't last neither....so in my many years of warm & cold climate hunting l accept the fact that boots don't last and need to be replaced sooner than later.
Best boot l had was Meindels, made in Germany, bought from Cabelas approx. $500 at the time. Out lasted all others.

Posts: 193 | Location: The Northern Territory, Australia | Registered: 14 September 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love my Orvis Wetlanders. I'm on my second set and have hunted them throughout New England and even brought them to Africa. Tough, waterproof, great ankle support and cost effective when you find them at the outlet stores.

They are now called 'Orvis Kangaroo upland boots".
http://www.orvis.com/p/orvis-k...oo-upland-boots/3c63

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim."
Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, March 15, 1910

Posts: 251 | Location: Central Massachusetts | Registered: 02 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite boots for bird hunting and big game hunting are Le Chameau Chasseurs. Great walking boots, always waterproof, comfortable, lugs that work, and very quiet in the woods.

I wear them under field pants in the briars which helps reduce the scratching. Best boots ever!

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wear a cheap pair of gumboots for waterfowl and Blundstone 500's the rest of the time. Hell I would go shoot birds barefoot if I had to!

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Macs B
posted Hide Post
LL Beans Maine Hunting Shoe, 10 inch Waxed Canvas over rubber. About the best I've found for the pacific northwest.

Look into these for your particular locale.

Macs B
U.S. Army Retired
Alles gut!

Posts: 378 | Location: USA | Registered: 07 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Like some have noted; depends on the terrain.

Here in the Applachian mountians traction is a must. I love the Bob sole of the Danners. Simply the best I have used.

In the Northeast I think a Muck boot is better. One boot just wont cover all covers.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I wear Danner sharptails.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
second on the danner sharptails, just put a bunch of South Dakota miles on mine this last weekend, then when it got cold i switched to Pronghorns

Posts: 1019 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I like the Browning kangaroos. Light and tough.

I had some Dunn's that were great, but they were stolen out of my gear box. I still have their zephyr boot, but it doesn't have as much ankle support.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote