New
Find
Notify
Tools

new hunting method ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/4667144.stm Here's a novel way to hunt geese . Also check www.trebuchet.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that the instrument the english call a "Catapult"
is what we in North America refer to as a "slingshot", probably of the subtype refered to as a "Wrist Rocket"

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Allan, a catapult is not a slingshot. A catapult can be made in a number of sizes and is used to toss objects. It is also called a trebochet or trebuchet (french). It was used as a seige weapon as far back as the 15th century. I had an email recently of a large one used to hurl a volkswagon. A common boy scout project in the engineering merit badge is to make a small one, two or three feet high. It can lob large rocks that would easily kill a swan or duck. You would have seen them in the battles at the castles in Lord of the Rings (unless you were one of the 10 people in the world that did not see any of the movies).

It is interesting that they removed the remaining ducks for their own safety. My god.

Here is a link to a site about catapults and trebochets.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I built some catapults when I was a kid.

Plus I must be one of ten people who hasn't seen the Lord of the ring movies.

Posts: 19604 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
(unless you were one of the 10 people in the world that did not see any of the movies).

I would be one of those 10 people also.

Posts: 1118 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm 3 of 10...

Posts: 67 | Location: The Pelican State | Registered: 18 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
Allan, a catapult is not a slingshot.

Actually, the previous poster is correct. Common usage in Scotland (which I assume is the same vernacular of the incident posted on the BBC site) is to refer to slingshots as 'catapults'. Ask on the euro site if you like, but I'm sure about this one. My Wee Muther is from Scotland, and as such I spent time as a kid talking to other young Scottish miscreants. Their 'catapults' *are* slingshots, with little design change from we on this side of the pond. Boys will be boys, regardless of what terms are employed to describe the little tools of destruction they are so fond of. Smiler

Cheers,

KG

P.S. I saw the catapult show on Discovery or somesuch as well. Now THAT looked like big fun!

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote