New
Find
Notify
Tools

2-1/2 inch 12 gauge shells
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Where can I find 2-1/2 inch 12 gauge shells?

Libertatis Aequilibritas

Posts: 570 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
As you are located in Texas but I do know Fiocchi and others load these shells, Aguila even loads one at 1 3/4" (www.aguilaammo.com)If you are west coast you could check with Garner's in Oregon as they are a large Fiocchi dealer. And since you are in Texas you might want to check with AbleAmmo (www.ableammo.com) and see if they can help.

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 AI
posted Hide Post
Hi,

You don't say what gun you are looking to shoot. There are several sources for 2 1/2" chambered shells. Not all of them are safe in all guns. It really depends on condition of the gun, original proofing, condition of the gun, barrel composition and condition of the gun.

2 1/2" shotshell chambers were used from the early black powder days well into the nitro proofed solid steel barrels of the 20's and 30's.

Actually, in gun in excellent, sporting good damascus barrels it is possible to safely fire 2 3/4" shells. The key is the pressure. Short shells or low brass base have nothing to do with pressure. There are several sources for shotshells of the appropriate pressure. http://www.ballisticproducts.com/bpi_homepage/products/prod_ammo/t3-ammo/Gamebore/gamebore.htm http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID3603772DD244971-Kent-Ammunition.aspx

Before you load a shell into the chamber have the gun checked by a gunsmith who knows old shotguns. It has be checked to see if it is on face, condition of barrels, thickness of barrels, condition of the upper and lower rib and solder joints, cracking of the face, splits in the stock, etc.

I have a Lefever from about 1920. It has damascus barrels. With a low pressure, ie 6,000 psi load, I can fire it all day long.

For more info, you might want to check out forum at www.gunshop.com The folks there are very knowledgable about vintage shotguns.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a Mauser Remo shotgun from te 20's.

Libertatis Aequilibritas

Posts: 570 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 December 2004Reply With Quote