New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bringing Birds Back?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can you legally bring birds back form Argentina? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Would be leaving and coming back through Dallas.

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Argentina is bad news right now for bringing back ducks.

If you are going with a good outfitter he may be able to get you permits for 5 species of ducks. You will need one or two extra days in Buenos Aires to deal with the red tape after the hunt is done.

Then upon return to USA you will need a broker to have the birds cleared through US Customs, USF&W and USDA. Then your broker will send the birds directly to a USDA Port of Entry approved taxidermist.

Geese are closed in most provinces of Argentina so they are out of question.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, is the same true for Doves this is much appreciated, Butch

One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Doves may be easier to get paperwork for. They have the Eared Dove which are very pretty, resemble our mourning dove quite a bit so I am not sure if they are worth the hassel.

Here is a pic of one I took this January.

They also have 2 pigeon species. Here is the Spot-winged Pigeon.

Here is a Picazurro Pigeon next to the dove. These things are very big in size and will make a pretty mount.

Just so you know that doves are very hard to mount and you need a master bird taxidermist to make them look good. Otherwise the mount is not going to look nice.

We all learn from these posts so fire away with any more questions.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch, I brought back 600 dove fillets in 2007. On the way to the airport, our tour guide ask me what was in my cooler. I said "dove". He said "no", it's argentinian beef. When we checked our stuff at the airport, the absolutely gorgeous agent asked me what was in my cooler. I said argentinian beef. She asked "patos" ? I said no, argentiian beef and she cleared me. When we got to houston, I got flagged to go thru the extra secure customs b/c I declared the dove. They x-rayed my cooler and welcomed me home. Then they asked "what's in the cooler, fish ?" I felt happy to have my dove, but not very secure w/ homeland security.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Buddy, that answers some more questions, I love to eat the birds!!

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Thanks also from me, Collector, but bummer. I just won't go on a big traveling bird hunt if I can't bring back birds to add to the collection. Frowner

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
@Kamo Gari
I can't tell you how many people have said the same exact thing....some outfitters and taxidermists are working on the front to straighten things out. If we can reverse the red tape involved to bring birds back then I believe we will see a sharp rise in guys willing to go duck hunting in Argentina.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your work on this, Khan; I appreciate it very much. Please keep us (me) updated on how this thing pans out, as far as the importing birds situation.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
10 ALASKA BIG GAME GUIDES HUNTED WITH ME AND TOOK EVERYBIRD ,EVEN PERIQUITS THEY ASKED ME TO LEAVE ONE WING WITH FEATHERS JUST TO IDENTIFY THEM.

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
PARROTS:

All Psittaciformes (Macaws, Parrots, Parakeets) are protected by CITES Appendix I and Appendix II. The Alaskan Guides who took the parakeets from Argentina back to USA not only violated International Law but United States laws as well.

Any sane taxidermist in the states would not touch a wild parrot with a ten foot pole (pen-raised birds and pets if accompanied by proper paperwork are the only exception).

BIRDS OUT OF ARGNETINA
These 5 species are allowed with a boat load of paperwork done in Argentina.
1) Rosy-billed Pochard
2) Yellow-billed Pintail (aka Brown Pintail)
3) WHite-faced Whistling Duck
4) Speckled Teal
5) Red Shoveler

If anyone brought in any other species of ducks or geese besides these 5 out of Argentina then they are in violation of Argentinian Law.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
D'oh!