THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Is Argentina Going up in cost rapidly?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Argentina Going up in cost rapidly?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted
Hi guys,

I'm not sure what you are seeing in the states but we have seen a rapid rise in prices on the mixed bag hunts in Argentina this year.

I know inflation is rife and the exchange rate is dropping dramatically but surely we shouldn't be seeing such large changes year to year.

I'm questioning how long I can market this type of hunt in the future.

K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I pay in a different currency. I may not see the same thing that you do.

Yes, there have been some increases but they have been tolerable to me personally. Argentina had (and may still have) an insane inflation rate. Thank you Christina.

Personally, my biggest problem is the cost of air charters. They are out of control.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Larry,

Our package includes the charter which may be part of the problem.

I just got quoted $1000 extra to bring the charter in and overnight in Santa Fe before our departure in a couple of weeks. The total charter cost must be nearly $2000 an hour already.

I'm still getting quoted in dollars but the prices are going up by about 30% this year.

That is not to mention the wine upgrade cost of $100/day per person for what is a $12-$15 bottle of wine in the local store.

It is making South African Rock pigeon shooting look like amazing value.

Rgds,
K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kiri:

I am having my office manager pull my costs for the last 5 years. It will be interesting to see what this shows.

The charters are definitely a problem. When the charter costs more than the hunt , that is a big problem in my book.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We took a quick look. The following are the daily rates:

2015. $1150
2013. 1090
2012. 1,030

I did not go in 2014.

I am checking on my 2016 pricing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
$1,210 per day for 2016.

Looks like it goes up $60 per year.

I am betting the charters are the problem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amazing to see price increases and high charter rates when local costs (currency adjusted) are declining.

http://www.xe.com/currencychar...m=USD&to=ARS&view=5Y

Again another example of discretionary vacation guys getting short end of the stick.

I might go to argentina to vacation - given my US $ is worth 3 times as much since 2012. I bet steak and wine prices in BA have not gone up 300 percent.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not completely sure the following idea is even possible since I'm not at all knowledgeable about the workings of the Argentina bus systems, but we took a bus from BA to Santa Fe and it was really quite pleasant, except for figuring out how to get it done, after our flight landed 3 1/2 hours late and we missed the last bus's departure from the airport to our ultimate destination, then having to get figure out how to get from airport to main bus station (Retiro). We both spoke minimal Spanish, but without that minimum, I think it would have been much harder.

I'm thinking that some smart enterprising Argentine businessman could arrange to charter a hunter's "sleeper" bus from Ezeiza to your destination for a helluva lot less cost for the whole bus than one hour of the charter flight time. For instance, right now, the "bed" bus ticket cost from BA to Cordoba is about $50. That's further than the normal dove hunting trip, and it takes about 12 hours, but I'm sure that is NOT a non-stop time, that is they stop along way to discharge and take on passengers. But you can believe they don't take long about it, don't be in the john when the bus pulls in, or you'll likely be left.

I know many people in here have money to burn, but I don't and even if I did, I wouldn't, but that's me. Quite a few Americans going to Argentina are not on the "don't bother me with costs. full speed ahead" plan and the bus charter plan might be workable for them as a group. It can easily be done by one or two people or more from Ezeiza IF the damn plane lands anywhere close to when it is supposed to, but that's not a given in South American air travel.

This is not meant in any way to be a negative slant or slam on anyone. My absolute thought is, it's their money and they can spend it how they wish.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
Amazing to see price increases and high charter rates when local costs (currency adjusted) are declining.

http://www.xe.com/currencychar...m=USD&to=ARS&view=5Y

Again another example of discretionary vacation guys getting short end of the stick.

I might go to argentina to vacation - given my US $ is worth 3 times as much since 2012. I bet steak and wine prices in BA have not gone up 300 percent.

Mike

Interesting.

I wonder what the inflation rate was in the same years?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.tradingeconomics.co...entina/inflation-cpi

I would have never thought that the inflation would be as high as it is. Shocking actually!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
http://www.tradingeconomics.co...entina/inflation-cpi

I would have never thought that the inflation would be as high as it is. Shocking actually!

Price level up 130% in last 5 years - currency depreciated by 75%. If you are in the hunting business in argentina and getting paid in dollars you are killing it.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All in all it got to be terrible for the middle class in Argentina just getting devastated by inflation.

The very rich families in the latin American countries over generations have learned that capital is secure anywhere but in local currency and are well equipped to deal with inflation.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
That ain't real inflation Argentina style. Rather than re-write it, here is a post of my Argentina monetary adventures over the years that I made in July of last year:

quote:
I've been hunting intermittently in Argentina, and Uruguay since the early 80s and have had the opportunity (?) to pay with all 4 of the modern currencies they've used in Argentina since 1970. The inflation was horrible at times, and thanks to the government which froze bank accounts, stopped foreign exchange, etc etc it absolutely destroyed the hard working middle class of Argentina. At a fairly well know steak house in Buenos Aires, Las Nazarenas, taking into account the current rate of exhange, I've paid everything from about $7 to about $60 for basically the same meal, a lomo steak, bottle of mid-priced wine, and french fries. Right now, it comes in at about $50 more or less. which based on history may indicate a change in currency before long. All steak dinners worth it, I might add. There are better places cheaper but we ate there for old times sake.

At any rate, we started with what they now call the new peso (officially the peso ley, started circulating in 1970) in about 1982, then the new new peso (peso Argentino) from 1983 to 85, then the Austral from 85 to 1991, and then the new, new, new peso (officially the peso convertible) starting in 1992 to date.

That might be hard to follow, but the rate of exchange and the loss of value to the Argentinians was even harder to swallow.

Here is how it played out:

In 1970, the new peso (peso ley) replaced the old peso (peso moneda nacional which had been the currency since 1881) at a rate of 1 new peso = 100 old pesos.

In 1983, the new new peso (peso Argentino) replaced the old new peso at a rate of 1 new new peso =10,000 old new pesos.

Then in 1985 the Austral replaced the new new peso (peso Argentino) at a rate of 1 Austral = 1000 new new pesos.

Then in 1992 the new new new peso (peso convertible) replaced the Austral at a rare of 1 NNN Peso = 10,000 Australes.

Since that time, the NNN peso (peso convertible) has steadily declined in value against the dollar and other hard currencies.

If you haven't been able to follow all the zeros, it means that a 10 TRILLION old pesos in 1970 would have been converted into ONE new new new pesos (peso convertible) currently worth about 7 1/2 cents. Fiat currency is a belief system and if people lose belief, usually due to government actions, it loses value, often rapidly.

$10,000,000,000,000 old pesos equal $1 new, new, new peso.

Current value of NNN peso is just over 6 cents in dollar terms.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I just booked another trip to where I will have spent nearly three out of the last 12 months there. My dollar goes very far, it seems. As stated, the inflation and exchange rates almost counter to where it doesn't seem much different in 2006 when it was 3:1.

I did get a screamer of a deal on the flight. Under $900 DFW to ATL to EZE to COR round trip. The total travel time and layover is comparable to all my prior trips. I'm nervous about the Aerolineas leg, but I'm told they are run much better with the changing of the guard, plus it's not necessary to change airports.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck. I flew Aerolinas Argentina once. It was enough for me. If the service is better, it would save a bunch of money on charters.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I know, but I gambled at half the price. However, the only leg is from EZE to COR. I'll find out in a month .

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I'm also boycotting LAN for the stance against shipping trophies. My options were limited.

I'm bad at boycotting.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experience is this: I started going in 2010. I've used 4 different outfitters over the course of several trips to both Argentina and Uruguay. Similar to what Larry reports, the outfitters I use have been raising their daily rates $50 per day each year. Other costs such as charters, transfers and ammo seem to be stable, although I've seen one Uruguayan outfitter jump from $12 per box to $17 per box over the years, and where some used to charge the same for 12ga as 20ga, I now see some charging more for 12's. I also see discounts for return customers. Like in Africa, there are options and one can find the deal that fits their budget/needs.

I will say this, though. We are now seeing wingshooting trips for common species that mirror the cost of some African DG hunts, at least on a daily basis, and I'm not sure how sustainable this model will be over time.

On a side note, I was just in touch with my outfitter who tells me the Entre Rios province is virtually flooded throughout due to weeks-long rain. Let's hope it settles down and dries out soon.

Best to you all.

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
not neecesary i mantain my price of 1500 us 4 days mixed bag including duck hunting shotguns ,everything since 5 years ago .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Dr. Pozzi seems to be a great man and outfitter. I only know him through AR and the Facebook. However, I'd like to spend some time with him hunting or just burning powder at the range.

I spend a good part of the year working in Argentina (it will be about 4 out of the last 12 months (a beautiful girl and hating law might be part of it.))

It wouldn't be appropriate to say where I work while there, but Dr. Pozzi offers great deals. I hope to meet him in person one day.

The Argentine people are great and things should only get better for them.

Por supuesto, the food and wine can be spectacular.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For years I have seen Juan Pablo's posts and pictures and have spoken to people that have hunted with him and have heard nothing except good things.... Sooooo being in buenos Aires all weekend and having nothing to do except go out and drink, I am going to forgo doing that and instead I'm going to drive up there and shoot things with him.....

To say I'm excited is an under statement.....

Will post updates

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I have been hunting with Patricio ,a great gentleman and marvelous wing shooter -just as an example he killed 85 ducks and some waterfowl in 3 or 4 hours - missing very few ,we have been 4 days hunting ,great time educated and funny guy a joy to guide . We are proud to call him a friend . .Hes a friend of my son too ,he has been with him in the water in the cold mornings while i read and drink coffe y my cozzy truck ..

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Ill post photos of this duck season soon as soon as i have some free days ,but there are millions of ducks here .We are hunting full time in Santa Fe Cordoba and Corrientes and my secretary isnt good posting photos here ,but i have hundreds and i promise ill post them .This is a GREAT SEASON . Wink

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA