New
Find
Notify
Tools

Doves with Los Chanares
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We just finished what I am guessing is our 15th trip with Los Chanares. Many improvements have been made to the lodge. The service continues to be excellent. I shot a lot of birds. No idea how many.

The last shoot was a bit of a struggle as all other clients had departed. It is hard to keep the doves moving with a single gun. Regardless, I shot hundreds.

Due to me being the only client, they arranged for me to do decoyed pigeons the last morning in a feed lot. That was amazing. I loved it.

We are definitely going back.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry:
I know you take your own auto-loaders with you. Any issues this trip with importing them? What was your port of entry, BA?

Tom

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I gave my 20 gauge to someone in Argentina. As such, I did not have to take it.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
decoyed pigeons would be awesome, we decoy the Eurasian doves here sometimes, they are a blast!!

Posts: 1019 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was a hell of a lot of fun.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, decoyed pigeons in a feedlot are a blast. The added bonus is shooting more to get more decoys!

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, was that your first time to shoot pigeons? My shooting buddy has ruined me shooting pigeons, decoyed or pass shooting. I would personally rather shoot a few hundred pigeons than 1000+ doves.
I have heard that Los Chanares and many other lodges are seeing a decrease in the dove numbers compared to previous. Did you experience that at all?

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 489 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No sir. There were plenty of doves.

The only issues was when I was the sole shooter. It is hard to keep the birds moving with a single shooter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me add that they are experiencing a change in the timing of the migration. The doves leave the area for a short period each year then return. This period may be changing slightly. It was later this year. This was attributed to a late harvest due to a drought .

With everyone shooting, I probably over 500 birds per shoot on the fields. I could have shot more .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
We just finished what I am guessing is our 15th trip with Los Chanares.

Larry - Have you been at Posta del Norte? After reading about your satisfaction with Los Chanares I contacted them to get some more information. It seems FlyWays Argentina operates Los Chanares and Posta del Norte. Just wondering if there is a significant difference between these two. If they are at DSC I will probably make a booking.

Posts: 179 | Location: USA | Registered: 28 September 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by accipiter1:
quote:

Larry - Have you been at Posta del Norte? After reading about your satisfaction with Los Chanares I contacted them to get some more information. It seems FlyWays Argentina operates Los Chanares and Posta del Norte. Just wondering if there is a significant difference between these two. If they are at DSC I will probably make a booking.

I have never hunted at Posta del Norte, as they are competitors with where I hunt/work (Miles & Miles Outfitters) and it would be almost adulterous. I’ve shared beers with David Pérez (owner) and Leo (manager). They’re about an hour and a half north of the airport in a villa called Las Peñas. They are good cats and you can’t go wrong with them.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by accipiter1:
quote:

No, I have not been there . I have known David and Alex for 13 years. They are smart as well as knowledgeable straight shooters. I can’t imagine you would go wrong.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, Los Chanares sounds like a very impressive lodge and area for dove hunting. I’ve hunted with Miles & Miles and Frontera and always thought that Los Chanares would be the premier destination. Unfortunately, most of the lodges prefer groups, but if an opportunity ever presents itself on an AR group hunt to there, I’d be jumping on it. And also, thanks for the many comments you’ve made on AR, as they are an invaluable resource to us regarding hunting issues.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by txsouthpaw:
Larry, Los Chanares sounds like a very impressive lodge and area for dove hunting. I’ve hunted with Miles & Miles and Frontera and always thought that Los Chanares would be the premier destination. Unfortunately, most of the lodges prefer groups, but if an opportunity ever presents itself on an AR group hunt to there, I’d be jumping on it. And also, thanks for the many comments you’ve made on AR, as they are an invaluable resource to us regarding hunting issues.

Thank you sir.

While I am sure it is easier for all involved to have a single group at Los Chanares, it is not a requirement. On this last trip, I went with my wife. There was a family from Texas there as well who was there independently of us.

It is absolutely possible to go without a group.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Exactly. Also, as Larry said, more shooters in field makes for a better hunt by moving the birds around.

Most of the time, mixed groups get along well and new friendships are made.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marcus is right. I am not sure if I said this is my report. The last afternoon, I was the only shooter. While there were birds everywhere, it was not hard for them to land 100 yards or more away. It definitely impacted my shooting .

Again, a group is great but not necessary.