Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Goose Hunting
 Login/Join

posted
My neighbor is interested in taking his kid goose hunting this fall in the western US or Canada. Does anyone have any good hunts or information? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
here in Tx most guides can be located thru local newspapers or chamber of commerce in the area of intrest. Kurt.

Posts: 205 | Location: Hondo Tx | Registered: 22 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It's good to see someone from the Rio Grande Valley cruising this web site. Tell your neighbor to forget about travelling long distance for goose hunting. Your (his) best bet is to book some snow goose hunts in Katy (TX). Larry Gore outfitters has a great operation. I have had really positive experiences through them. Katy prarie snow goose hunting is a hidden Texas gem. I don't recommend goose hunting for a kid. First off, the shotshell loads required for geese is very tough on even a grown man's shoulder. Secondly, geese are very hard to judge. It seems as if they are 'standing' still up there and it is very difficult to figure out what kind of lead you need. Third, you will be laying flat on your back in a muddy rice field on a very cold morning. Save that for the die-hard adults, not for introducing a kid to the great outdoors.

Given all that... your friend ought to take him on a preserve pheasant hunt in Katy through Larry Gore Outfitters. He can use a 20 gauge and regular old 7 1/2 dove shot will knock them down. This is how I introduced my pretty and petite wife to shotgunning. Pheasant are relatively easy to hit. They are big and take off much slower than most other upland birds (quail, etc.). This can be done during a leisurly afternoon. The kid will also get to walk the poiner work. All this for $125 bucks a head and it is within driving distance from the Valle. You guys definitly need to reconsider to pheasants. Be sure to google Larry Gore Outfitters.

Posts: 21 | Location: Deep South Texas | Registered: 24 April 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
O.K.
I just realized I screwed up here. I thought rockhead was from the Valley...

Scratch my previous post. Feel free to give me a hard time about this.

Posts: 21 | Location: Deep South Texas | Registered: 24 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Larry Gore beer

There is nothing as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Posts: 265 | Location: south texas | Registered: 30 November 2001Reply With Quote