New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dove shooting in Mexico
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know we have discussed this for Texas and Argentina, but has anyone been dove hunting in Mexico? I like what I have read and heard about Argentina but Mexico is a shorter plane ride from the States and airfare looks to be about half or less than what I would pay to Argentina. Are there any outfitters or companies that have been used and are recommended? Anything else that can be shared would be appreciated.

Posts: 108 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've dove, quail, and duck hunted in Mexico quite a few times over the years but really don't consider it as a hunting destination very often anymore. That's not to say if the stars all were in alignment that I wouldn't go, it is just that the hassles, potential hassles, and potential crime problems in Mexico have made it too much sugar for a dime to use an old expression.

The dove hunting there can be anything from fair to extremely good depending on the weather, where you are, and how good your guide is. It is usually very good. Normally the guides start you out slow the first day and get better toward the end of the trip. Totally the opposite of Argentina, for instance, where the shooting (you can hardly call it hunting) is gangbusters from the first daylight. In Mexico, whitewings and, often, some mourning doves are your normal target. Unlike in South America, whitewings have 2 distinct flights, about 2 to 3 hours morning and evening. When they stop it is like turning the water off, they're gone until the next period arrives.

Whitewings are very sporty, a fraction larger than a mourner and take a bit more killing to bring down cleanly.

The Mexicans have made the costs of hunting down there, getting a license, gun fees, etc so high that it is nearly as expensive as hunting in South American and not nearly as much fun. It is typically hot to really damn hot when the dove season is open in Mexico, unlike the more temperate climes of South American/Argentina. The limit in most places in Mexico is about (and this varies, of course) 25 Whitewings and 15 mourning doves a day. Obviously very few if any visiting Americans obey these limits. Therefore, you are at the mercy of the Mexican authorities and the "mordida". While I've never had any problems down there, they ARE NOT uncommon. Normally you will drive through at least one or two checkpoints where the Federales are armed with machine guns and don't practice active gun safety rules.

Contrast this with Argentina where there is no limit, no season, hunters are welcomed, etc. and you'll see why I pass on Mexico for most of my wingshooting these days. In Mexico the paperwork to import a gun is quite extensive and expensive. In Mexico Americans and their money are targets both officially and unofficially.

If you live close to the border, it makes it much more attractive. The quail hunting down there can be unbelievable. While I live in Texas, it is probably a 12 hour drive from me to any hunting area border crossing.

None of the above is to say that the hunting is not good, it is and can be very good, it is the baggage that goes with getting to the hunting that is the problem in Mexico.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted doves in Mexico once and shot a total of 33 boxes of shells in 4 days. The limit was 40 birds per hunt with us hunting twice per day. Some outfitters ignore the limits on birds when hunting Mexico.

In Argentina, I typically budget myself 40 boxes of shells per day but I have shot as many as 60 boxes in 1 day without really trying. There is no limit on doves. My son shot 1006 birds in 1 day. I shot 932 in the same day using a side-by-side. Here is a picture taken after a good day of dove hunting in Argentina.

Gun registration is Mexico is a problematic but gun registration in Argentina is quite easy.

Ron L

Posts: 276 | Location: hendersonville, nc 28739 | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How sore are you after shooting that many times?

Posts: 470 | Location: Texas/NYC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rattlesnaker

I am assuming that you were posting that question to me. We are shooting 1 ounce dove loads with a recoil pad on the gun and we are also wearing a second recoil pad. My jaw can get a little sore after several days of firing a gun 1000+ times. My shoulder does not bruise. Your arms are tired from mounting the gun so many times so fatigue becomes a factor. Once the doves start flying you just don't notice until the day is over.

If the gun fits you well and you wear the recoil pad, you are not bruised at all on your shoulder. With a poor fit, it can be bad. I have seen men develop blood blisters on their shoulders where the stock kept smacking them. They had to quit shooting!

Posts: 276 | Location: hendersonville, nc 28739 | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pay a little more for airfare and go to Argentina. The entire experience is MUCH better. The last time I went to Mexico I did not take my own gun because of the hassle.You will shoot more shots at doves in Argentina in a three day trip than 30 days in Mexico.Argentina is a rare experience but not as much fun as Africa IMO.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron L,

Argentina's always been high on my list of things to do. I actually backed out of a trip down there last year when things got busy at work. Tell me this...does all of that shooting improve your shotgunning skills or do you start to pick up bad habits due to all of the shooting...especially when you are fatigued??

Posts: 470 | Location: Texas/NYC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rattlesnaker

I keep track of my shooting when on these trips. The first day I am always a little rusty and you just want to shoot as many doves as possible. There are so many birds that it is actually distracting. You start swinging on a bird and then change your mind to go after a different bird.......I do a lot better on the second day as I start to understand why I am missing birds. By the 3rd day, I am trying more difficult shots and still shooting good. On this last trip with John Airala, by the 3rd day, we were trying to drop dead doves close to each other. If someone passes on a high bird, someone else would just reach up and kill the bird to show off. It is amazing how high up you can kill a dove with a little bit of practice.

If I get fatigued and my shooting starts to suffer, I just take a break. There are always more doves to shoot if you are in South America. I never got fatigued in Mexico because we were only shooting 40 birds per hunt. In Argentina I have shot 600 birds in 4 hours. Starbuck is right about the number of birds that can be killed in South America compared to hunting in Mexico.

I take a lesson or 2 the month before going down to South America just for a refresher. If I start shooting poorly, I also just try to slow down my gun mount and remember not to stop my gun movement when I pull the trigger. Those 2 things seem to straighten out most problems.

posted Hide Post
Rattlesnaker,

After having hunted with Ron for many years I can personnally attest that he is being more than modest in his replies. He has no bad habits and seldon if ever misses. Those of us who have hunted Ar with Ron beg him to let a few birds come through so we can shoot too, but to no avail. He kills them all. High, low, in front of you, he kills them all.
The only way we can stop Ron from this shoot-fest is the promise of cold tasty adult beverages.

Tom T

Posts: 17 | Location: Hendersonville, NC | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted Hide Post
Hi Tom and Ron,
I wanted to let you guys know that I have a new place to shoot. It is so fantastic that it even amazes me. It is the only place I have ever seen that you can shoot doves, pigeons, and ducks all day long without moving from the spot you are standing in. There is a limit of 10 ducks per shooter just for the sake of conservation and dove and pigeon is no limit. You could set records shooting at this place.

John

one of us
posted Hide Post
John:

You have a PM.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the info. I suspected that Argentina was the place to go and you have confirmed it. Now all I need to do is get some money so I can have some fun.

Michael

Posts: 108 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote