Tools

Re: Remington Hevishot
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of chapster1
posted
Kevin @what range were you shooting the ducks at,
the first goose i shot with 36gram HS destroyed it at 30/35yds half choke

Posts: 165 | Location: North Yorkshire yippeeeee | Registered: 08 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hand loaded Hevi shot the last 3 years. All in 2 3/4 shells the stuff works great. You can use 11/8 oz or 1 1/4 oz loads with no trouble killing things. I shot a wounded goose last year that was walking away up the river bank at 65 yards with a oz of number 7 Hevi shot and just flaten it. No need for the big shells this stuff works better then lead. I would still be useing lead if legal but Hevi is the way to go other wise.

Posts: 19431 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of chapster1
posted Hide Post
Hi all ive just fired 3 hevi-shots carts for the first time out of my benelli nova with a 26" barrel,
first two shoots were at (widgeon small duck)
and the other one at a canada goose,
now these carts are Express 3" 36grm number 3s,
which is number 1s in the uk, i fired them threw a factory choke 1/2 and the ducks were 50+ yds stone dead VERY impresive but the goose was about 35yds and it shredded it to bits, i did manage to save a bit of the brest meat but not much,
can any body reconmend @ what range HS is able to take geeseand ducks ? and of course its up to my shooting as well,im also looking @ useing number 6 shot any ideas how this shot size does the job on ducks/goose,
im used to shooting steel in 2 3/4"/3"/and 3 1/2" but im only impressed with the 3 1/2" carts as over here in the uk we have laws regarding the speed of carts,unless we reload our own.
Many thanks for any replys Mark

Posts: 165 | Location: North Yorkshire yippeeeee | Registered: 08 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not used it in 10 or 12ga, but I have had excellent results in 20ga. As of about 5 years ago, using lead on public land was banned in South Dakota. After a few frustrating seasons trying to kill pheasants with steel, I tried hevi-shot. The stuff kills better than lead! I still carry lead on private land due to the cost, but I am really sold on the stuff.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll be trying it on sea ducks on Friday in Maine. Will report back vs steel last 2 years.

Posts: 1492 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well we limited out in an hour on friday in Maine. Hevishot 4's crumple birds, less cripples, eiders are large ducks too.

Posts: 1492 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote