Tools

Hunting with a Legend
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone here hunt with an A5?

Happy New Year,

Tom

Posts: 43 | Location: Greater Los Angeles | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I grew up hunting wiht my dad's A5. I couldn;t begin to count the number of shots I put through that old gun. Lots of Doves and quail in Az. and some ducks after moving back east( before Steel shot was required everywhere). Now my brother has it, He doesn't shoot much and never hunts anymore, but it is his now and he wont give it up.
I would love to get another someday maybe a nice 16 ga?

Posts: 43 | Location: Western NY | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
got a mid '50's Belgian in '98 and use it for doves. thinking of sending it to Briley for chokes to use for ducks. I love mine. Kurt.

Posts: 205 | Location: Hondo Tx | Registered: 22 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom02,

Yeah, I wish Browning would reintroduce the Belgium A5. I'd love to have a 20 gauge, since 90% of my bird hunting would fall within its ability. But I think the old A5 was too labor intensive with lots of hand fitting...kinda like the original Model 12.

kweber,

I think the A5 was intended for waterfowl. I believe Browning used to make a 3" mag A5 with a full choke for ducks & geese. Mine is a Light 12, and it is strictly for upland game since everything on water now requires steel shot. With light 12 gaige shells such as Remongton's Sureshot, it'll get my birds. I have even used ounce and an eighth for phesants.

Good huntin',

Tom

Posts: 43 | Location: Greater Los Angeles | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mine is a light 12, 2,3/4 chamber. as I have a 3.5 Mossberg for geese, the a-5 would be used only on early season teal. Kurt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
forgot to add... I think Browing custom shop still builds a-5's,$$$. also seen many at gunbroker.com in 12,16 ,20 ga. Cabela's also have barrels and stocks. most gun shops I've been in always have at least one on the rack. Kurt.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Got a couple of Sweet 16s from the '59-61 time frame, one extra barrel...I doubt there is pickup in country that could drive off with the quail they've killed.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DigitalDan,

The 16 gauge is excellent for all upland game. I'd love to have one.

Sad thing is 100% of my bird shooting is upland. My favorite gun for such hunting is my Light Twelve. I would be so much better off with an A5 in either 16 or 50 gauge!

If Browning ever reintroduces this model in either 16 or 20 gauges, I'd be all over it.

Does anyone know if there are differences in production of the A5 specific to location? In other words, is the Japanese A5 identical to the Belgian A5?

Happy New Year,

Tom

One of Us
posted Hide Post
lots of nice guns at gunbroker.com, some NIB. saw a nice 20 ga. awile back. Kurt.