New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ithaca NID question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a chance to pick up a late 1940's Ithaca NID. I am not sure of the grade but it has more engraving than the field grades I have seen but the receiver is blued, not case colored. The tang screw is missing and there is a small dent in the left barrel about 10 inches from the muzzle. I am not a smith and do not know if this can be repaired. I can get the gun for $250.00. Is it worth it or just a piece of crap? Thanks.

Posts: 136 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Homebrew:

I'll be 76 in a few weeks -so that may tell you where I'm coming from. Ithaca had an up and down reputation years ago. Before WW2, it was a fairly well thought of outfit for DBs but never top notch. After WW2 it staked a lot on its "Featherlite" (as advertised in those days), a pump shotgun. Frankly, I don't even remember the DB you mention - so what am I doing telling you anything? Just this. A shotgun that has a "dent" in its left barrel would make me very wary. You say it's 10" back from the muzzle - on what length barrel? Some real constriction of shot problems could develop (and a possible barrel blow out -right about where you have your hand on the fore end?) Frankly I wouldn't touch it just because of the "dent" alone-even if it can be worked out and didn't penetrate to the shot barrel. It shows abuse ( just like if you were looking over a second hand car, always a bad sign) The missing tang screw doesn't inspire me with confidence either.

Posts: 800 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know whether you should buy this gun, but I can tell you that most general gunsmiths with the right tools can remove dents in shotgun bbls.

Posts: 179 | Location: No. Idaho | Registered: 23 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gimpy:
Don't know whether you should buy this gun, but I can tell you that most general gunsmiths with the right tools can remove dents in shotgun bbls.

If the dent is shallow, it can be removed. See if you can get an inspection by a good shotgun smith. At 10 inches from the muzzle, there isn't a lot of pressure left, so it shouldn't blow on you. THE NID was the best design Ithaca made in a double gun JMHO - had the rotating bolt and rib extension like a fox or smith. If it is sound otherwise should be worth 250 easily. IE< tight at the breech, wood uncracked, no pits in the bores. I am assuming it is a 12, if a 16 or 20 is worth more. You canfind a tang screw somewhere, or somebody can make you one, which can be a little pricey.

Posts: 180 | Location: lakewood, co | Registered: 26 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dents can be easily raised. Brownells sells the tools but they are expensive for a one shot use. They are basically a gague sized small cylindrical hydraulic jack that raises the indent from the bore. They work very well. A bulge in a barrel is another matter and often it comes back after it is reduced but dents pretty much are gone once they are raised.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote