THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Dove Shooting in South America

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dove Shooting in South America
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Smiler

Hi All,

Me & my hunting/shooting cronies are considering a Dove Shooting trip to South America in 2006. We are experienced North American, European & African big game hunters but have never undertaken a South American Dove Shoot before.

To assist helping in making the right choices for us our prefernce would be quality shooting over quality ambiance, i.e., we don't want to live in a hovel and eat stale bread & cheese but overly ostentatious food, wine & all-singing/all-dancing frills aren't what we're about either. Hope that makes some kind of sense? Net, we're just a bunch of normal guys who want to do some good value shooting.

We'd like to solicit some considerations from some of the "old hands" who have been down there before or outfitters who can shed some light on the in & outs, whatch-outs & pitfalls for Newbies!

Here are a couple of queries perhaps some of you could assist with?

1. What are the major watch-outs and pitfalls on shooting, booking, accomodation & ammunition?
2. Where are the current best hotspots, Argentina, Columbia, Paraguay, etc. or does it not particularly make any difference on overall dove shooting quality?
3. What is the price spectrum from bargain basement to pur luxury?
4. Can someone suggest a couple of outfitters who are goood, solid, value for the money?
5. What is the ammo story and general overall pricing for reliable/reputable .12 gauge ammo since we have heard stories about reasonable accomodations and shooting rates which get off-set by horrendous ammo prices?

Thanks,

Gerry

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gerry,

I was just at the NRA Annual Meeting/Convention last weekend and spoke with a very nice guy in the outfitters section. He works for (or runs) an outfitter company that sets up hunts around North and South America. He explained that by far Argentina was the best place to go shoot doves and guaranteed 1000 shots per day per person if you are up to it. Also said he can get us in from bottom line price to top of the line lodges, but the hunting would be the same, and hunters are spread out far enough that you couldn't shoot someone (aside from the bird picker-upper or shell holder) even if you could see them.

Also, he said you can bring your own guns with little difficulty ($75.00 fee per gun - 2 max) or you might want to rent from the numerous quality guns they have to save the excess wear on your own. Oh, and I think he said shells are included.

I am at work now but I will get the info when I get home and post it for all to consider.

He also said he can arrange dove shooting in Mexico or elsewhere but in his opinion, 25+ years experience, he thinks Argentina is tops. I don't know him, haven't used him, but he spoke with my wife and I for 30 minutes and explained the ins and outs and additional hunts/fishing/shopping can also be arranged.

I have a couple other pamflets at home as well that I can post. Hope this helps.

Posts: 108 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gerry,

I came home from work today and the info was in the mail. Bob Chramosta of The Detail Company, www.detailcompany.com, is the one I talked with. One of the packages he sent me is for a high volume dove and dorado (type of fish) fishing package, October-December. 4 days for 6-14 hunters....package with 3000 rounds of shells=$2350.00.......package without shells=$1300.00. (it lists shells at $10.00 a box...so 3000=120 boxes of 25= $1200.00...$200.00 savings if you get them included)
This does not include staff and bird-boy tips, airfare departure taxes (aprox $45.00) or gun permits ($75.00 each). They have other packages and hunts available but those didn't include the shells....at $10.00 a box. This is with Los Ombues Lodge, www.losombues.com. I checked out their web sight and it doesn't list prices, but Bob claimed to be able to get better rates due to his frequent business with them.

Another place he sent info on, Miles & Miles in Cordoba, but they again charge $10.00 a box of shells.

Again, I haven't tried these yet, just got the info and thought I would pass it on. Bob said he can taylor a package to whatever you desire and include extras, such as trips to the city for shopping, etc., if necessary. I am also interested in making a vacation out of the dove hunt and just started looking. I look foreward to reading what information others have to offer.

Posts: 108 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Smiler

Mr. IN.....thank you very much for the great response

It is truly very kind of you to invest the time and effort in such a factual & candid response. My buddies & I will definately research the vendor/link you have mentioned.

Also the additional information you've provided is helpful for us to make our final decision, especially the country specific info on Argentina as opposed to other locales.

I'm out the door to drive to Zurich, Switzerland for the weekend where a couple of us have organized an Accurate Reloading shooting weekend at AR members "mho's" local shooting facility. If I can manage to figure out how to post a picture on the site - we'll have some photos next week.

Again thank you very much for your response and I'll provide some feedback next week.

Cheers,

Gerry

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gerry: I suggest that you may get in touch with Mr. Rolando Nusbaum (teitu@fibertel.com.ar), his web page is www.argentinasbesthunts.com or with Mr. Juan Pozzi, in wwww.huntinginargentina.com. Juan usually posts here. Both are very good outfitters. Also there are new areas in Santa Fe province for combined shooting of doves and ducks.
Good luck

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Gerry,

Some of us who post here hunted with John Airala this past January and had a wonderful time. We hunted about 2 hours outside Cordoba, Ar. and the shooting was hot. Check him out at www.SportingDestinations.com. There are some postings under this bird hunting forum on his hunts. (check my posting "hunting with John Air").

A couple of suggestions I have are, book a hunt where the shells are included. John has a hunt for 4 days with 4,000 shells. A thousand shells a day are a lot. I'd also perfer to have them serve lunch (Asado) out in the field and have cots for a nap. No need wasting valuable hunting time riding back and forth to the hotel for lunch.

Good luck and bring us back some hunting stores.
Tom T.

Posts: 17 | Location: Hendersonville, NC | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted Hide Post
Tom,
How the hell have you been? When do I get to see you back here again?

Your friend,

John

one of us
posted Hide Post

Gerry

This picture is a day where my son shot 1006 doves and I shot 932.

I have visited Argentina/Uruguay 3 times in the last year wingshooting.

For doves you can spend $200-$600/day. I have always been able to shoot at least 1000 shells a day using a side-by-side regardless of how much I was paying per day. Cordoba, Argentina is a good place to start for your first trip. You will shoot doves until your gun is so hot that you can not touch it without gloves. The country is safe, the food is good, and the wine/beer is delicious.

The lodging and food will not be as nice on the lower end of the price scale but it is infinitely better than anything I ever experienced hunting in Canada or Alaska. At the lower end, you may be in a hotel. The upper end of the price scale will be an estancia that is more luxurious than what I have seen in Africa. The driving from the lodging to the hunting seems to be longer at the bottom end of the price scale. I like Tom's idea of making sure you will have a mid-day lunch (asado)in the field which makes the driving time a mute issue.

Shells have cost me $8.00-$10.00 per box and that can get expensive.

Tom's suggestion of a package that includeds 3-4 days of doves and at least 1000 shells a day will give you the best idea of what you will wind up spending. I have seen packages for 4 days of high volume doves and 4000 shells for $2200 in US dollars. That is a very good price.

Transportation from the airport and in the field, food, lodging have always been included in the basic price.

In addition, tips to bird boys ($15.00/day) and gun registration ($75.00 per gun).

You might be able to save a little money by booking direct rather than using a booking agent. I have done it both ways successfully. If you book direct with an outfitter that you have never hunted with, just keep your deposit to a minimum.

I hunted successfully with John Airala of Sporting Destinations on my last trip. His trips are reasonable in price and we were treated very well.

I hunted wild boar successfully with Juan Pozzi but I have not dove hunted with him. I did dove hunt in his area and there were plenty of birds.

Ron L

Posts: 276 | Location: hendersonville, nc 28739 | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ron L,

Thanks for the information. $2200.00 for 4 days with 4000 shots is less than 50 cents a shot. Not too bad, and if you look at it this way the food and lodging is free.

I am eager to get down there to shoot....just trying to round up 5 more people who are interested.

Michael

one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin,

INresponse, nainital, TomT, JohnAir & Ron L.....

thumb

Thanks a million for your recommendations, insight & tips - solid advice from you all.

The problem is you guys have succeeded in putting our other planned trips into jepardy.

Our potential, whatdya think about, maybe, perhaps, we-outta-look-into South America plans have gone straight on to afterburner!

wave

Cheers,

Number 10