THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Thinking of giving duck hunting another chance...

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of giving duck hunting another chance...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted
It has been a long time since I went duck hunting, but for some reason or another, I would kind of like to try it again.

So, in order to help scratch this itch, I need to get a shotgun. I used an 870 in 12 gauge last time I went duck hunting. I know that people love the 870 for it's reliability, but I must have been the only idiot who got it to jamb. Is it worth looking into getting a semi-auto?

Should I be looking for specific brands, features, or just something that lines up when I raise it up? Is there any factory options for guys with long LOP's (I like 15 inches on a rifle)?

What about new versus used?

Thanks for the input.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really depends on 2 things....preference and budget. The majority of duck hunters shoot semi-autos, followed by pumps then doubles.

Those of us that hunt a lot use Benelli or Beretta or one of the other $1500 semis....just a matter of whether you like inertia or gas-driven....and more importantly, what feels best in your hands. There's always used ones around but they're still not cheap because they last a looooong time. Cheaper semis are OK as well......check Stoeger, etc.

Pumps like the 870 or Benelli Nova are popular and guys that like pumps swear by em.

Like I started out....preference and budget is your guide. They'll all kill ducks equally well provided you're a good shot. I have an SBE2 and a Stoeger M3000 and a Ruger Red Label stainless o/u....they all kill ducks but I use the Benelli 95% of the time.

$500:

http://www.stoegerindustries.c...oeger-model-3000.php

$1500:

http://www.benelliusa.com/shot...er-black-eagle-2.php

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I actually prefer waterfowling to big game hunting and I shoot a lot of ducks and geese during the fall. I've used an o/u for over ten years now for pretty much all my shooting. I always hold two shells between my fingers on my forward hand and I can take three and sometimes four birds as fast as my friends shooting pumps and semis.

I shoot a Beretta o/u and really like it. I have a stoeger .410 side by side I use sometimes as well. I've used a variety of pumps and the super nova is my favourite. I have a couple buddies that shoot/shot 870's for years and love them. I personally don't like they way they feel or transfer the recoil to your body and shooting big 3.5" loads don't bother me.

I've shot a mossberg semi that is an alright gun (several friends have one but they all have their minor problems). I've also shot the Benelli SBE, SBE 2, and the Vinci. All are excellent semis and the Vinci is probably my favourite of the three.

I think you should get something that feels good when you shoulder it. Everyone has their preferences and shotguns fit everybody a bit different. If you get a chance, shoot the gun a few times before buying it (maybe you could rent one at a range?). Let us know what you decide on and good luck!

Peter Andersen
Peak Wildlife Adventures
1-306-485-8429
peakwildlifeadventures@hotmail.com
www.peakwildlifeadventures.com

Posts: 295 | Location: Sk, Canada | Registered: 06 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
I agree with the over/under suggestion. When you know you just have 2 shots you tend to shoot more carefully.

If you are shooting something with 3 shots the third one is often when the ducks are out there at wounding distance.

I hate to see them fly off after being hit.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
I shoot alot of skeet with o/u guns. So i changed to hunting ducks and geese with a o/u.
I have 870's, SBE and a SP10, but still reach for the o/u first.

Kill as many as any one i hunt with. Two good shots beat he heck out of three rushed shots.

Posts: 761 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
A double certainly has it's appeal.

What about shell size, go for one that can handle 3.5 inch shells?

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Browning BSS would do it for you and won't make you cringe when it finds the only exposed nail in a blind. I had the barrels opened to 10 and 15 thou on my 12-g BSS and shoot 2.75- and three-inch shells. Number 3 steel shot works very well and has not damaged the barrels.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer an o/u or double to the autos or pumps, but that is just me. Most can be had with 3" chambers and bbls. suitable for steel. If I need something bigger (seldom these days) I grab one of the 10's.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, seems like we've amassed nearly every duck hunter in the US that hunts with a double in this thread. rotflmo

Forget the 3.5" shells....and that's coming from an SBE2 owner.

I don't know about those on here that have commented on the doubles, but if you shoot a case or two of shells every season like I do.....you might want to consider a semi.

Out of curiosity, I'm going to post a poll on another forum that is only waterfowlers. I'll get back to you with the numbers on what everyone uses.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ha Norton I'm used to being ridiculed about my o/u. A few years ago a friend and I were hunting hunting near the Quill Lakes here in SK and we combined forces with a quartet from Missouri on some snow geese and ducks. Apparently they were laughing at my gun while one of them and myself parked the trucks. That lasted until my buddy and I accounted for more birds than the four of them combined ha...had a good shoot with those fellows and they stopped the elbowing after the first few flocks. What do you mean by considering a semi for that amount of shells? I usually shoot two cases minimum each fall at ducks and geese (big limits need more shells) and recoil is never an issue for me.

Sevens: I'll second the endorsement for 3" shells. I've used 3.5's a couple times and I find them to be unnecessary. Unless you plan on Turkey hunting with the same gun I suppose you might want to look at that chambering. I use #2-#4 steel on ducks with good results. For geese (species and time of year depending) I use #1 down to BB.

Peter Andersen
Peak Wildlife Adventures
1-306-485-8429
peakwildlifeadventures@hotmail.com
www.peakwildlifeadventures.com

Posts: 295 | Location: Sk, Canada | Registered: 06 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So far on the duck forum.....53 respondents use semis, 18 use pumps and 18 use doubles. Sounds about right.

My guess is older guys tend toward doubles....and the term older is becoming more relevant for me as I close in on 50 later this year.

Peter....recoil is zilch compared to doubles on the newer semis like Beretta and Benelli....haven't shot the Maxus, etc. but I bet they're the same. I'm not recoil sensitive and shoot 3.5" #2 and #4 most of the time.....even though I know 3" is fine.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:
So far on the duck forum.....53 respondents use semis, 18 use pumps and 18 use doubles. Sounds about right.

My guess is older guys tend toward doubles....and the term older is becoming more relevant for me as I close in on 50 later this year.

Peter....recoil is zilch compared to doubles on the newer semis like Beretta and Benelli....haven't shot the Maxus, etc. but I bet they're the same. I'm not recoil sensitive and shoot 3.5" #2 and #4 most of the time.....even though I know 3" is fine.

I usually shoot more birds than my peers around here and my double is all I take out.

I don't value the third shot. Seems fine to me to try for one bird, maybe try for a pair, and then reload and wait for the next flock. This year I picked up some nice doubles, more singles, and had some good dog work on all of them. If quantity of birds is what your after, stay out a little longer and hunt a little more!

I personally don't care for the image of the "Meat Stick" camo'ed semi autos. Wing shooting and duck hunting specifically was at one time a gentlemans sport and putting stickers on ones firearm doesn't quite lend itself. I like to take as many birds as the next guy but its more important to me to enjoy the experience, not limited to but including; nature, the dog, company and my skill at taking game, meaning shooting well. Loosing game of any species is very troubling for me so I prefer to decoy close, use wide open chokes, shoot a couple of times and take some pictures.

Posts: 9497 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
I don't feel under-gunned on ducks and geese with my Remington 870 with a 3" chamber. Indeed the third shot is usually worth passing on.

I use that one shotgun for almost everything and I'm confident shooting with it, so it goes into the duck boat with me.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 776 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
I personally don't care for the image of the "Meat Stick" camo'ed semi autos. Wing shooting and duck hunting specifically was at one time a gentlemans sport and putting stickers on ones firearm doesn't quite lend itself. I like to take as many birds as the next guy but its more important to me to enjoy the experience, not limited to but including; nature, the dog, company and my skill at taking game, meaning shooting well. Loosing game of any species is very troubling for me so I prefer to decoy close, use wide open chokes, shoot a couple of times and take some pictures.

"Meat Stick" camo'ed semi-autos? Gimme a break. I know you're not inferring that those of us that prefer semis for fowling are any less gentlemanly sportsmen than yourself, correct?

No black hoodies or stickers on any of my or my bud's guns. That's mostly the 20ish year-olds and they grow out of it unless they're real d-bags.

I'll wait for your response before any further commentary......but honestly, passing judgement on the 2/3 of fowlers that hunt with semis?

BTW....the latest numbers on the poll I mentioned: 87 semis, 19 pump and 22 double.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I'm absolutely not passing judgement on you or any of your friends! I'm sure I worded my resopnse poorly and for that I appologise.

I'm sure you're aware of the kind of fellow I was refering to. They're even here in small quantities and I avoid them.

I'm quite certain you're a gentleman of the highest caliber.

Posts: 9497 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used semis, o/us, and pumps duck hunting. They all kill ducks.

Use what you want to use. I switched to a 20 gauge Beretta semi last year and have been very pleased. My friends snickered for about 5 minutes ....

If you hunt with other people, the third shot can be very helpful with quickly dispatching cripples and winged birds.

Posts: 662 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'll keep that comment in mind going forward.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Older I am for sure. But early on I found that a lot of autos would become single shots when the weather got down around 0 and there was a lot of snow and ice. Hopefully the newer Berettas etc. function better than the old Remingtons and Brownings. The only auto I ever really enjoyed was the Ithaca Mag10, and it took a return trip to the factory to get that one functioning smoothly.
C.G.B.

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Took a gander over to Cabela's today, just to fondle some shotguns. This is my opinion on the limited guns I grabbed, so don't take it personal what I remark about the guns I handled.

First thing of note and this was unanimous for all the guns, was the LOP will need to be increased. I do this with all my rifles, so not too shocked the shotgun will need this too (I was much shorter last time I went bird hunting). Second thing I noticed is that every shotgun I held would benefit from a little cast off in my case.

Over/Unders: These were my favorite of the 3 types as they seemed to balance best. The break action helped cut-down on overall length, which was nice and I think helped contribute to the better balance. The double does have a romanticism about it, similar to using a double rifle on an elephant hunt.

The Semi-Auto: I actually liked these the least. I found them to be the heaviest which made them feel less balanced in my hand. The weight didn't seem to be well distributed to me, bunched mostly around the middle where the mechanism is to reload for you. Reminded me a lot of having a well balanced rifle that has had a scope put on it and thrown the balance off.

The Pump: These fell somewhere in the middle of the above two. They are lighter in weight and better balanced to me then the semi, but still behind the O/U. As with the Semi, the action contributed a lot of extra length which I didn't care for, but the pump mechanism didn't seem to effect balance as much for me.

Given the 3, I'd pick the over/under. I'll probably keep browsing the used rack to see if anything jumps out at me.

Appreciate the help guys. Again, sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes in regards to my assessments of the various shotguns. Just giving my honest opinion of a small sampling, I am sure there are many examples (both good and bad) of the above that would go counter to my assessment.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you like an O/U look at the Ruger Red Label. Good quality gun and it won't break the bank,

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sevens....no offense taken of course. The whole point of this thread was to find out what you like best. My only observation was that I found it odd that every single response on this particular forum favored o/u.....while on the duck forum the poll is currently 126 semi, 26 pump and 24 double.

Good luck.....and PS: Ruger stopped making Red Labels altogether IIRC so it'll have to be used. I got my stainless o/u NIB a few years ago from gunbroker.com for around a grand. My Citori isn't something I would expose to the salty areas I duck hunt in.

FYI....the Red Label o/u weighs 7.75 lbs. and the Benelli SBE2 semi-auto weighs 7.2 lbs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sevens, here's a view on it from a "retired duck hunter" who started his "career" in the '70s. All this was in AR in the heart of the Mississippi Flyway. Much was in Stuttgart AR, the "Duck Capital of the World". And some was in MS and TN. The TN part was mostly Reelfoot Lake, famous amongst waterfowlers. So, I got plenty of practice.

My first duck gun was an Ithaca Model 500 field grade in 12 ga. That's an O/U. I killed a lot of dux with it including my first, which I had mounted and am looking at on the wall right now. I liked it because frankly I was into the whole idea of hunting with a double gun just like the old timers. I liked to imagine myself following in the steps of Nash Buckingham and those famous shooters of the past who I'd read so much about.

I even bought an old Parker S/S, DH grade, and killed some mallards with it, in order to carry on that tradition I found so attractive.

Then one day I realized two things. One, the double guns of whatever configuration only shoot twice. And I was the only one doing this. EVERYONE I hunted with used one of three guns - the Win. Model 12, still tremendously popular then and called the "King of the Pump Guns", the Rem 870 and the Rem 1100 (about half the 1100s were 2 3/4" and the other half the newer 3" Magnums). All of this of course in 12 ga. Really nobody used 20 ga to duck hunt with, or it was extremely rare. And this is well over 100 very experienced hunters. The only fellow I knew who did that used a Win Model 12 modified choke in 20 ga, and he just used it because it was light to carry. He was also a champion class caller.

And, there was no 3 1/2" 12 ga then, or any need for one. 3 1/2" was something found only in 10 ga, which hardly anyone owned.

IF you had the 12 gauge 1100, 870 or M12 it was ALL you ever needed to kill ducks and geese at any reasonable distance. I remember even killing a few out to 80 yds with those (and with the Parker - I paced the distance off a couple times). But, Italian made shotguns like the Benelli and Beretta simply weren't seen. I don't know if they even existed (maybe they did, but nobody I knew had one).

I later bought two Brownings, an O/U hunter model and a grade II S/S. The S/S was too pretty to hunt with, and I eventually sold it. The O/U is a fine gun and I used it some for ducks, but only later in the season when I'd already gotten a freezer full and no longer was intense about how many I killed. I could afford to miss in other words.

IF I was still doing this, and was really SERIOUS about getting the limit, I'd reach first for an autoloader, my trusty Rem 11-87, which I started using in 1987. Second choice would be the much older Win Model 12 Magnum heavy duck gun, excepting the fact it's a full choke piece and doesn't work and play well with steel shot. Third choice would be the Browning O/U.

I hope that helps.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:

Another swing and another miss!

Wink

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have the basics of a good gun mount, I think fit is the really key point. By fit I mean when you shoot the gun it hits where you are looking (16 yard test). Once you know what fits, then from those, pick the one or so you personally like, and to hell with what anyone says.

For me that means a Browning Maxus for salt and rain and a Beretta 471 side by side for everything else.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Sevens, it will depend a whole lot on what kind of hunting you will be doing. Birds over decoys, 2 3/4 and 3 inch should work fine out of a 12. 3 inch out of a 20, 3 1/2 out of a 12 if you will run into geese.

I use a single shot 12 with 3 inch shells and a 10 gauge double for my hunting.

Over the past couple of years, due to the drought in this area, my hunting is limited to jump shooting over tanks/stock ponds.

When I do get the chance to hunt over decoys I prefer the 12 gauge single with 3 inch shells loaded with number 4 shot.

I am working on getting set up to reload my 10 gauge shells, because I don't know that anyone offers 10 gauge shells loaded with anything smaller than #2 shot.

I started out waterfowl hunting in the 1960's and it is still my favorite form of hunting.

Best of Luck on your project.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wing shooting and duck hunting specifically was at one time a gentlemans sport

......that was after it was a meat on the table for survival hunting and then, market hunters, of course. Big Grin

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kamo Gari:
quote:

Another swing and another miss!

Wink

I resemble that remark. wave

As of today: 183 semi, 39 pump, 32 double.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:
A double certainly has it's appeal.

What about shell size, go for one that can handle 3.5 inch shells?

I am less of an expert and more of an enthusiast than some here, but don't think you will need 3.5 inch shells for ducks. If you plan to use your shotgun for geese or turkeys, that's another story.

You're doing the right thing to get the gun that comes to your shoulder the best and feels the most comfortable when it gets there. I've hunted them with an O/U, an 1100 and an Benelli SBE. The ducks don't know the difference......

Jim

Posts: 61 | Location: Houston and Seguin, Texas | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am less of an expert and more of an enthusiast than some here, but don't think you will need 3.5 inch shells for ducks. If you plan to use your shotgun for geese or turkeys, that's another story.
You're right on ducks. But same's true of geese and turkeys. Countless numbers of both were killed over many decades before anyone ever heard of 12 ga. 3.5, including by me.

The only thing I do differently if I know geese are on the menu is use bigger size shot. BBs in 3" steel shot does the trick. Turkey though is a whole different kind of game. The general idea is the first shot is for the head, so the pellets need be smaller than for geese. Personally I like 3" in 6s for the first shot, backed up by 5s or 4s if more is needed. 2 3/4 loads have taken plenty turkey also.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I worry about you duck hunters. You guys believe that 33°F and sleet coming down sideways is perfect weather. These things said, I will opine categorically that the Remington 1100 is the most effective game bird killer ever offered for public sale.

Good hunting.

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I actually like duck hunting better than I like guns and I like guns a lot. What kind of gun depends on what kind of shooting you mostly do. I now shoot a Benelli SBE I that has a pink cammo barrel but I haven't found a barrel sticker obnoxious enough to put on my duck gun. I started duck hunting with a Stevens 20ga pump and progressed to 12ga pump guns and finally to 12ga semi-autos. I have used lots of Winchester Model 12's and would use one still if we didn't have to use steel shot. I've used Remington 11-48's which were ok, Remington 1100's which were ok also and the Remington 11-87 which was excellent until I started using a Benelli which for my hunting can hardly be beat. Yes, I have tried O/U and side by side doubles and in some cases, they work well but in a pit blind such as in rice fields, you are eventually going to be looking at dents in the bottom barrel on o/u's and dents in both barrels on SxS's. In blinds in the salt marsh and shooting from a boat, the double barrels seem to be ok. Fine too in layout blinds. Most of the double barrel shotguns I've seen lately do not seem to be too salt water friendly.

Cast and LOP has been mentioned and most of the semi-autos today have somewhat adjustable stocks. Most of the semi-autos (and pump guns) used for duck hunting today are more salt water friendly it seems than break open guns.

If you are going duck hunting in an exclusive duck club where your gun is carried and cleaned for you after hunting, what difference does it make what gun you use?

Don't ask me what happened, when I left Viet Nam, we were winning.

Posts: 444 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mauser93:
I worry about you duck hunters. You guys believe that 33°F and sleet coming down sideways is perfect weather. These things said, I will opine categorically that the Remington 1100 is the most effective game bird killer ever offered for public sale.

Good hunting.

Actually I prefer to hunt in much warmer weather but I will indeed go out in the wind and rain and cold to kill ducks. The Remington 1100 was an OK gun until 1987 when the Remington 11-87 defined what a semi-auto Remington shotgun should be.

Duck hunting should be fun, some people take themselves way to seriously.

Posts: 444 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RonE - Is that one of your blinds?

If so, and you guys are killing a bunch of birds out of an 8 man raised platform blind "hidden" with some dead leaves and brand new 2x4s, all while wearing reflective sunglasses, I'm hunting in the wrong place ....

Posts: 662 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tygersman:

If so, and you guys are killing a bunch of birds out of an 8 man raised platform blind "hidden" with some dead leaves and brand new 2x4s, all while wearing reflective sunglasses, I'm hunting in the wrong place ....

Yes, it is one of our blinds. You have to be still for pintails and widgeon but for redheads, you just have to be there.

On Christmas day, you have to wear your "Santa" hat and must stand up in the blind so the birds can see Santa. These birds were all shot from the same blind that is 18 feet long and 4 feet wide inside. The birds on the air boat were shot from this blind mid season last year. There were 7 hunters and we quit an hour before the end of the legal shoot time. (missed our limits by 5 birds). This is not a commercial blind, just a bunch of friends and their friends too. Ten people can shoot pretty comfortably depending on how many Ice Chests, Bar-B-Que pits and radios we bring. There is even room for a couple of dogs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RonE:
quote:
Originally posted by tygersman:

Yes, it is one of our blinds. You have to be still for pintails and widgeon but for redheads, you just have to be there.

On Christmas day, you have to wear your "Santa" hat and must stand up in the blind so the birds can see Santa. These birds were all shot from the same blind that is 18 feet long and 4 feet wide inside. The birds on the air boat were shot from this blind mid season last year. There were 7 hunters and we quit an hour before the end of the legal shoot time. (missed our limits by 5 birds). This is not a commercial blind, just a bunch of friends and their friends too. Ten people can shoot pretty comfortably depending on how many Ice Chests, Bar-B-Que pits and radios we bring. There is even room for a couple of dogs.

That's hysterical - Great pics. I doubt we could even get away with shooting scaup out of that blind over here in SELA. And our ducks aren't usually as shy as a lot of other places I've hunted ....