THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Who Produces a Good Duck and Goose Calling DVD

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who Produces a Good Duck and Goose Calling DVD
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen:

I drifted up to Cabelas in Hamburg, Pennsylvania today, and they did not have the Haydel DR-85 with its DVD. They had a number of duck and goose calling DVD's, but I am ignorant as to what is useful and what is fluff.

Who makes a good duck and goose calling DVD?

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about dvds but someone will chime in soon with an answer. When I was learning there were no dvds. There were tapes, but few used them. The way it was done, the way I learned and the way I strongly recommend is join a duck hunting club or at least start doing this with other hunters. For many, many reasons that is where you want to be eventually anyway. Seek out other hunters, hang around them at sporting goods stores and gun ranges, join DU and get active in its events and look for classified ads for new club members.

You can learn a lot from listening to live ducks themselves, but not much feedback there on your calling. You get that from other hunters. With experienced hunters say you need some assistance in learning and they will help. Most hunters enjoy demonstrating their skills in this area. Start actually calling when hunting by yourself or with others who are non callers or beginning callers. Gradually start calling with the more experienced guys once they say you've got the basic sound down right.

The exception is if in your region or circumstances this is more a solitary pursuit. If so, then you got no choice on the dvd...

But do remember, what's more important by mountains and miles than the call, is finding a good place to hunt.

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
http://www.mackspw.com/ItemSea...truction-cd--srcin-1

Suggest you get the RNT right stuff box set and the duck calling 101 by Echo

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Palmer:

Thank you for the DVD/CD ideas.

I just ordered the Haydel's DR-85 duck call with DVD, and will experiment with that first. Then off to the RNT instructional DVD's.

Dear Shack:

At present my hunting buddies are all upland game hunters, not waterfowl hunters. So, I have to start from scratch.

Middlecreek waterfowl area is just north of me, but is special regulation only.

I spent the better part of Wednesday near the Susquehanna river looking at state game lands for a good duck/goose spot. Haven't found one yet.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
Most goose hunting takes place on land. If you can find a friendly farmer with a wet winter corn field, you have a possible goose hunting spot. They'll eat winter weeds and dropped grain. Not quite sure how that plays out with winter snow up in the great white north, but down here, a field that was burned at end of season is best.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Daniel77:

Those winter corn fields are about 800 yards from our home. I don't know the farmers yet, but I will in September.

I've chased geese around in corn fields in the past, but as an afterthought to pheasant hunting.

Last week, I looked at some state game lands near here that have corn fields along the Susquehanna river with your idea in mind.

Thanks for your input.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis