New
Find
Notify
Tools

Show us your "break-opens"
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Nothing fancy, L to R: 60 year old 28g H & R, 20g s/s Spartan (Baikal), 12g Citori, 12g Ruger Red Label......plus my girl that finds 'em for me.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Here's a pic of my GSP (Tic), about 10 years ago with a nice Purdey 12g
sidelock. Both are still going strong!

Posts: 521 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Fast forward 8 years, same tree, same dog (a little grayer in the muzzle) &
a 12g Parker DHE.

Norton, I have the same Ruger 12 g synthetic stock O/U shotgun, great duck gun!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah JB....I love the Ruger too.....but I'd rather have that Purdy of yours. Cool

Great pics.......interesting seeing the dog age like that.

One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Norton,
Here's a pic of "Tic" last Feb,2011 when he turned 12. Notice he now has white
eyebrows,... I was shooting a 12 g Lefever Nitro Special that day. It was my
wife's grandfathers shotgun. Tic is still hunting hard & I will be going after sharptails
this weekend with him. He's just a bit slower & I have to be careful not to
hunt him 2 days in a row. Luckily, I have 3 GSP's & lots of shotguns!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
C'mon KG......I know you have at least *one* break-open. dancing

Good stuff JB......I'll be out your way in a few weeks whacking sharpies and ditch chickens......along with deer, ducks and anything else that's around.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
I used to, but the other day I opened the safe and saw a pile of rust beneath a stock I had no idea about. Turns out that was my double. Confused Big Grin

I do have six pumps and two semis left, however, so I hope to be able to bag a bird or two this year.

Wink

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jungleboy.What happens if you hunt him two days in a row?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Jungleboy.What happens if you hunt him two days in a row?

I'm guessing that the old fella gets sore and the owner doesn't want to run the dog to injury. But maybe I'm missing something or this is a trick question...

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Shootaway,
Tic is almost 13 yrs old & unfortunately still runs like a 2 yr old. He's pretty
sore & stiff for a day or two after a big hunt. I just think two days in a row
would be too much. I do give him Aspirin or Rimadyl? on occasion which
helps.

Thought I would throw in another pic, this time a 12 g H&H Royal with some
Southern Montana pheasants.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree that two days in a row can be too much.Anyways, Tic seems to be a very nice dog, who has a good owner.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a Purdy or H&H but it does the job.....and the thickets we hunt in up here aren't suited to those treasures.....beautiful morning with 4 pheasant limits and some woodcock to boot....

One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Norton,
Great pic, I have a very good friend in Vermont with excellent grouse & woodcock
hunting. I hope to come out next Oct to chase them!

We've had probably the best bird year in 10-15 yrs here in Northern Wyoming &
Southern Montana. Lots of pheasant & grouse (sharptail, blue, sage & even a few ruffed).
The Huns are even looking pretty good, great time to have bird dogs.

Hopefully I will have a pic tomorrow with my dog & some sharptails!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me know if you're coming out here JB......be good to have a little AR "east meets west" shoot.

Looking forward to today's pic with a pile o' sharpies.

I'm gonna try to sneak out for a few hours this morning before the predicted 6-12" of snow hits the ground......and officially starts my snow-blowing season. I love it.....should bring the ducks....and make the deer hunting a bit easier.

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Ruger for ducks in the timber:

A couple of 410’s for squirrels, rabbits, armadillos, woodpeckers etc:

Simpson 12 gauge drilling for deer and pheasant combo hunts:

Westley Richards 12 gauge for dove and quail:

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Palmer I am old fashioned, but that Ruger sure looks nice! Smiler

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
lal,

Those Rugers come up and swing just right. I suspect Norton will confirm that.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Hey Guys, I got back today from the sharptail hunt & ended up getting three. Here's
a pic with my ever aging dog, Tic, the grouse & my grouse gun. (20 g Holland &
Holland "Sporting" O/U). Great day, a little windy & both Tic & I will be a little sore
tomorrow.

I agree with you Palmer, that O/U synthetic stock Ruger comes to the shoulder quite
nicely. It's a great duck or just plain bad weather gun!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree about the Ruger, gents.....love that gun.....it's been a ridiculously wet upland season here so far so that stainless/synthetic is the ticket......and now we have a foot of snow on the ground!

It surprises me that Ruger stopped production on it.......I got it on gunbroker.com NIB last year for essentially what it cost new.

2 pheasants yesterday......and Nelli got a mouthful of porcupine quills......thankfully it was a juvenile or she would've been far worse off.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

16b side lever Purdy and a Cogswell

Posts: 1625 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

12b Lang key detachable side lock made for Abecrombie & Fitch 1914 when A&F was a real store

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zephyr, tu2

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
Some beautiful guns you gents have. Norton's Ruger even has me checking out Gunbroker! Here is one of mine, purchased from a member here:

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Slug is that one of those yummy NH release pheasants that my friend is always feeding me???

one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
Sure is! It's a bitch getting them to fly, by the way.

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous guns gentlemen.....I'm humbled. Sadly, neither of my grandpappies were hunters.....so no hand-me-down Purdy or H&H or Cogswells. Frowner

One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
Jungleboy and Zephyr those are some beauties!

1906 J. Blanch & Son 16ga relief engraved sidelock with 28" barrels

1912 Charles Daly Model 185 16ga made by HA Lindner with 28" barrels

1932 Franz Sodia 16ga with 30" barrels

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 865 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
My AyA No.2 and a California Valley Quail taken earlier this year.

My girl, Rosie, on point.

Posts: 1262 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Know what I love about this thread? High-end doubles posted by members that actually hunt them. Tip o' the lid and ta for sharing. One thing's sure that got me grinning, though: I bet not a single one of you boys with the Purdeys and H&Hs have the sack to do this with one (seaducks and tidal brackish water ice wading)...

Wink

One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
@Norton,
If that was my dog I would make that my Avatar pic forever....she is sooooo adoring Smiler

@Badger Matt
Your first pic belongs on the cover of a magazine. Beautiful artistic composition...two thumbs up.

@Kamo Gari
That would make a great TV episode...

"Show your Purdey a good time....take it sea duck hunting" Eeker

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
I think firearms are made for using, regardless of their make or value. However,
having said that, I do have "bad weather" guns & "good weather" guns.

Kamo Gari, Since I live in Wyoming, I don't see a lot of tidal brackish water. We do
waterfowl hunt in the late Winter (mostly on rivers), & you're correct, I don't typically
take my H&H's or Purdey's. I have a synthetic stock Ruger 12g O/U for that

Dukxdog, I love your Blanch, perfect combination of wood, engraving, caliber,..

Norton, Your dog is a doll, (even though she's not a shorthair! Big Grin)

Here's another pic of my youngest GSP, Baxter, with some doves we shot earlier
this season on my neighbors ranch. The gun is a Westley Richards 20g Ovundo SLE
droplock with side inspection ports. You really can't even see the ports up close,
I will try to get a better close up pic. It was made in 1924 for the Maharajah of Jongupar?

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Here is the cat with a limit of baldpates I got this past week. the gun, one of my "beaters" is an H&R 12 gauge with 36 inch full choke barrel.

Will post a picture of my 10 gauge double shortly.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here's another pic of my youngest GSP, Baxter

I swear! Would you guys stop naming your dogs after me!!! :-)

When I was a kid my grandmother worried everyone would call me bastard but as it turned out, all I hear is "Hey, I have a cat/dog named Baxter!" A few years ago Gail Selby was getting a pair of new Malteses and she couldn't come up with a name for the male. I said, "Hell, why not just call him Baxter, all my other friends have done that." Sure enough, she did!

I just tell folks it guarantees the dog/cat will be cool. :-)

Nice GSP, by the way!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are some pictures of my 10 gauge.

Mercury Magnum, 32 inch barrels choked Full&Full, guns weighs 11 pounds unloaded. Yes, the trigger guard has been removed, even with paddingh and the grip taped up it still ate my middle finger up. With the guard off it is not quite as rough.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All great stuff!

BUT..."Jungleboy" your chronology of your GSP nearly brings tears to my eyes...Wow! That's great stuff! My wife and kids love your posts...We raise Labs and feel a bit remiss that we have never had the presence of mind to chronicle our "boys" in such a manner... tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is todays proceeds with one of my Break Opens.
Started out the morning in a pop up blind watching a spin feeder. Martok was not real thrilled about the days weather, and Lora did not warn me that she was fixing to take this picture. I was blind for 15 minutes. Didn't see any deer but did have one pretty good sized hog pass by the feeder and stop for a second or two. There were over 20 hogs in the bunch but only the one came to the feeder. We let him walk cause we still have some hog hunters come out.

After I got tired of the wind and not seeing any deer, we moved on to more enjoyable activities.

Found these little dudes on one of the ponds, glad I had a few steel sixes left in my shell bag. These are the first snipe I have shot in almost 40 years.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice mixed bag CHC.....either they were all sitting REALLY close together rotflmo or you have got one hell of an active honey hole there.....or as a third option, you can reload VERY quickly.

Gotta love duck hunting with a single-shot. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norton, I also hunt dove with that gun. As for my success, I am not one bit adverse to making water swats when they present themselves. As kid growing up in the 60's my family was considered at the poverty level. I started working for pay at 13. When I got started hunting when I was 17, I found ways to conserve shotgun shells. With dove it is not practical, so I learned to reload really fast when hunting those birds.

With ducks, I found that if I would take my time and ease up on a stock pond and locate the birds first, then work my way around and was patient, I could get 2 or 3 birds lined up and down with one shot. Some folks don't see that as ethical, but it is not illegal, so my ethics lets me live with that arrangement. I love to hunt ducks over decoys and when the season reopens on the 10th. of Dec., I will be out there setting out the blocks an having some real fun and expending a few more shells.

I took the ducks off of 4 different ponds, the snipe came from one pond.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Nice mixed bag. Say, is that a watch ring? If so, cool! Wink Haven't seen one in years.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Say, is that a watch ring?

No Sir, it is a ring made with a buffalo nickle, my wife bought it for me from the Bradford Exchange a year or so back.

I don't do watches of any kind, I am too hard on them. I run by what my wife refers to as RST, Randall Standard Time, or when going thru the Four Corners Area, Rez Standard Time. Either way it works out to always late.