THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    If you like Vintage SxS Birdguns, Beware

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you like Vintage SxS Birdguns, Beware
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If you're into older SxS shotguns, I have a head's up. Ed Good Appraisals lists many older classic SxS shotguns on Gun Broker. I bought a vintage SxS from this company, but when I mounted the barrels, they were loose. I tried to return it, but was told that since the action is tight when the forend is attached, it is "shootable", and no return would be accepted. The forend is a part of the action's lock-up (???). I sent him several articles on checking a SxS for wear looseness just as I had done, and he said that was a matter of opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if most of his listings are beater guns, waiting for sale with no chance of return, to become someone else's headache. Steer clear.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs,

Sorry that you got taken by Ed Good. You are absolutely correct that the gun is loose and misrepresented. The gun should be absolutely tightly without the foreend on. In fact that is how you check for loose/off face guns, without the foreend on. Ed Good is notoriously well known on the doublegunshop.com forum for his torch "case hardening" and other nefarious practices on the guns he sells

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tex, thanks, I'll pass the word.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not have a gun from that seller-- even if he gave it to me. The guy's no good and happens to be an anti-hunter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
An anti-hunter selling birdguns...now there's a match made in heaven.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a thread that may be of interest

http://www.doublegunshop.com/f...er=346837#Post346837

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, looks like this is SOP for this guy. Great business plan...buy "doorstop" beater old doubles, add a few lines of prose in a web ad, then sell them as "classics", and refusing all returns.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1293 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Biebs,

If you are in Dallas, bring the gun past the stand and we will take a look and let you know what can be done to bring it back onside safely.

I have an inventory of 75 vintage guns so it is something we are up to speed with and would be happy to help you with if it gets you out of a bind.

Rgds,
Kiri

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kiri, thanks. I think I'll just drop it off to Griffin & Howe, which is close to me.

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Cool, I'm arranging to send some of my inventory to them actually so you may see some of the collection.

Still it you get a chance swing by for a catch up at the show.

K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will do!

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the head up

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote