THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Argentina--Cordoba vs other venues

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Argentina--Cordoba vs other venues
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents:

I've shot Buenos Aires / Entre Rios / Santa Fe and Correntes provinces for ducks, perdiz, dove and pigeon. Never done the Cordoba region. Always looking for a new experience.

Fully aware that the Cordoba region is not a waterfowl destination. Waterfowl is not part of this question.

So, for the purpose of dove and pigeon, can anyone give me some first hand input about a wingshooting operation in the Cordoba region?

Is there anyone out there who has shot BOTH the Cordoba region and the other venues to the East, who can offer some insight?

I'm looking for intel on ease of travel, shooting opportunities for pigeon, lodges that host a limited number of clients, and any other advice anyone may believe helpful.

Best to you all...........TWL

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot in Cordoba about 15 times. It has largely been for doves. We have shot many pigeons but compared to thousands of doves, there was not a great number. We have shot the odd duck from time to time. I have also shot in Buenos Aires and La Pampa.

In my experience, I like going to Cordoba the most. Granted, I have been to only one place there. The fact that I have gone about 15 times says a lot. Los Chanares is where we go.

As far as your questions:

1- There are multiple flights daily from BA as well as from other countries. Personally, we charter.

2- Literally millions of birds. I am not a high volume shooter compared to some . My personal best was 3,015 is a single day. I could have shot more but why? One really gets beat up with that much shootings.

3- Los Chanares definitely hosts a limited number of clients.

4- As far as other items, there are many. At Los Chanares, they drive you 5-10 minutes to the place you are going to shoot. MANY places in Cordoba put you on a bus and bus you to a field which might be a couple of hours away and leave you there all day. At LC, they send you with a bird boy with a radio. You go back when you want to do back. They have a fantastic lunch daily (an asado). Some places leave you in the field all day with a sack lunch.

Do not be swayed by someone guaranteeing 500 shot in a day. That is nothing.

Some of the outfitters put you up in a horrible hotel. STAY AWAY! There are plenty of nice lodges.

Ask about the type of shells. The RD's SUCK. I shoot the Fiochhi shells. Granted they are more expensive.

Good luck!

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry recommended a very good place in Cordoba, Los Chanares is excellent by all accounts. Others to consider are: Tomas Frontera Wingshooting and David Denies Wingshooting, both have multiple lodges around Cordoba, and offer pigeon hunting as well. I have hunted numerous times with both. If you go with one of the top tier lodges in the area, it's hard to go wrong in Cordoba - you do get what you pay for to some extent. There are definitely cheaper places than the ones mentioned so far, but I'd be surprised if you found better ones.

Posts: 76 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 13 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CARLOSTHEJACKAL
posted Hide Post
We are going with 5 star expeditions around July 4th. If your hunting around Cordoba, what can you expect weather wise?

NRA Life Member
DSC Life Member

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
Ronald Reagan

Posts: 486 | Location: SE TEXAS | Registered: 26 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CARLOSTHEJACKAL:
We are going with 5 star expeditions around July 4th. If your hunting around Cordoba, what can you expect weather wise?

Cool to cold. At its worst, we had snow one year. We go every year in July.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you can do both wiht luis sier (sier safaris)

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also have shot at Los Chanares. First rate operation when I was there it was run by a guy named Serge Dumpier. Very efficient operation. In fact a bit too efficient. You barely had time for a sundowner before dinner was served. It is now run by someone else. They have several roosts own the property. Our average drive to the hunting area was about 20 minutes. Very nice accommodations and excellent food.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 665 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You were there a long time ago. If my memory serves me correctly, Serge sold out over 10 years ago.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I was there in 2005 I think.
I have friends that have been there under the new management that all reported good accommodations and great shooting.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 665 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has vastly improved under the new owners . Not that it was bad before.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want more pigeon shooting, look at El Monte lodge in San Luis. First class lodge and run by a great family, Juan and Maria. I have been several times and enjoy the pigeons. The dove hunting is great also. I have limited out every time perdiz hunting, but it is not as much fun as pigeons in a feed lot.

Posts: 58 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 July 2015Reply With Quote