New
Find
Notify
Tools

side by side shotgun
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i'm looking to buy one, but they are not very popular where i live in texas. what's your advice on a 12 gaugewith 28 inch barrel. i would like to stay around $1200. any advice why should i stay away from them.
thanks
sam

Posts: 78 | Location: DFW, TEXAS | Registered: 06 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
V. Bernardelli Gamecock (may only have been available w/26" bbls.)

Sauer

When you can find them, good used versions will be well within your price range, leaving adequate $ to do long forcing cones and a decelerator pad. Both are light in weight and available with double triggers. I'm not bright enough to use a selective single trigger.

I do all of my bird hunting with either a 20 or a 28 side by side. Even my duck gun is a 20 s/s in camo. 2 3/4" Federal steel is a real killer in my 20 duck gun.

Good Luck.

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been well pleased with my Browning BSS. Mine is 20 gauge, 26 in. tubes with English stock. If you look hard, you should be able to find one in 12 at a gun show or on one of the internet sites such as gunbroker.com. The 12's don't seem to be as popular as the 20's, and those I have seen are in your price range.

Posts: 117 | Location: Middle GA | Registered: 26 February 2003Reply With Quote
<redleg155>
posted
Probably the closest you can get to a game gun type SxS at a reasonable price is the Ugartechea guns from Spain. They were imported by Precision Sports for a while and I'm not sure who is bringing them in now. Look for a model 30 or 630, they are boxlock non-ejector guns and while not finished like a "best" English gun, their dynamics of handling are not far off. Better than almost any American made or made for the American market SxS that I've shot. You should be able to pick up a used one for near half what your price range is and that's for one in very good condition.

redleg

Picture of pdkillr
posted Hide Post
Something u might want to check out go to savages website they r coming out with new side by side shoutguns. know this cause I was thinking about one. THey look pretty good on their sight have engraving and I believe choke tubes. Other than that I cant make any promises on how good they will be. Hope this helps think they were going to b around $3-400? If u r from texas let me know and I have a friend with an FFL that will order the gun for u for cost plus shipping who lives in austin.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Charles Daly is importing a Spanish-made SxS which is faily economical and looks pretty good. Their retail list is in the $700 range as I recall.

If you are willing to stretch a little higher on the upper end, you might be able to get a Franchi Highlander at pretty close to your dollar limit. They have a retail list of about $1800, so should be available by special order for several hundred less.

I heard that Weatherby is discontinuing their SxS, but at least one of their models is within your range and may still be available though a distributor or retailer.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the price range you mention, it is difficult to get a new gun. There are some very good choices in used guns.

The Savage gun is an EAA Baikal, a Russian gun. They are a good entry level gun and well within your budget.

For some used guns, you might want to check out the Browning BSS or the Ithaca SKB m100 or m200. They are all fine guns. The Browning was made by Mirouku in Japan. The Ithaca by SKB or Sakaba in Japan. Either SKB's will be cheaper than the Browning. The BSS is known for it's strong action.

You could also pick up a real classic in the LC Smith field grade with a little shopping. I would look for one that someone else had refinished. They usually sell for about $1,000. With a little looking you might even turn up an LC Smith Elsie grade.

The Parker is good classic gun that will fit the bill. With older American guns stay away from the damascus barrels unless you know what you are doing.

The Fox model B usually comes in below your limit. Again a nice older American gun.

Another option is a Stevens 311. They are plentiful, cheap and reliable.

You may find a Winchester 23 in that price range. Again a Mirouku made gun.

Hope this helps a bit.

Pete

[ 09-08-2003, 22:54: Message edited by: Quail Wing ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just bought a really nice older Beretta Gr.2 in 12 ga for $550. I took it out and shot a 24 at trap with it the first time. These guns are really under rated as far as I'm concerned. Articulated front trigger, Bushed firing pins-lots of nice features.
I have a 20ga chamber set I'm waiting to try in it.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Dr Duc, that is a fine gun you have picked up. I have only had the chance to handle one. But I loved it. I have spent the last 25 years looking for one at gun shows, used gun racks etc. I have not came across another one. I use a 686 over under now but would prefer the SxS. The new Silver Hawk I think it is called is just out of my price range. I am curious to see this new Ruger Gold Label though. It is advertised as a 12 gauge wieght of 6 and 1/3 pounds. If that is balanced it might be alright for American made. Fuzzy

Posts: 14 | Location: North Missouri | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When you find a good one, you'll love it. To me, twin triggers are a must. Nothing like the flexibility of choosing between two chokes. Or if necessary, two loads. Here in Idaho, Dove season overlaps with Partridge season. So when we hunt, we keep one barrel with 7.5's, for the Doves, one barrel with 6's in case we flush partridge.

Posts: 132 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stoeger uplander comes with 28in barrels, and they are not that expensive, I wonder why they have not been mentioned

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Mike Griffin>
posted
Try Champlin Firearms Enid OK.
www.champlinarms.com

Michael Griffin
"We're off to Magahdi to shoot some ivory!" OUT OF AFRICA

one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redleg155:
Probably the closest you can get to a game gun type SxS at a reasonable price is the Ugartechea guns from Spain. They were imported by Precision Sports for a while and I'm not sure who is bringing them in now. Look for a model 30 or 630, they are boxlock non-ejector guns and while not finished like a "best" English gun, their dynamics of handling are not far off.

I used to have a Model 30 and concur with the opinion above. I was told by a knowledgeable dealer that a well-known bird shooting school uses the Model 30 as its school gun for its quality, durability, and affordable price.

Lion Country Supply is the current importer of Ugartechea shotguns. They call what appears to be the Model 30 the "Upland Classic-Grade I-Boxlock Model" and offer several higher grades as well:

http://lcsupply.com/store/flashcart.cfm?section=302

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A SKB 200 used in good condition is a possibility. A Fox Steringworth or Lefever made in the teens through early 30's that's still tight and lightly used would be a peach as well.

Posts: 230 | Location: Alabama; USA | Registered: 18 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just ordered a new SKB model 385. They are not cheap! Will give a report after it arrives. Do a search on yahoo for "SKB" they have some nice higher end type guns.

NoCAL

Posts: 167 | Location: Woodland, CA USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
<mbkddd>
posted
Own a SKB 100, got at a resosnable deal $700.00 very happy with the gun. Also lookm into the Browing SBS, they are more in price but a good gun. There are some doubles that have come out recently from current manufactures that you might want to look into.

one of us
posted Hide Post
AYA- plenty of model/price choice; by far the most popular sbs in Europe probably the world.

Posts: 337 | Location: Devon UK | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote