Find
Notify
Tools

Set and Take?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted
I like the occasional quail hunt. However I don't have a dog and quail numbers are very low in my area. In the last few years there have been several set and take deals crop up. One is just 20 miles from the house. I was thinking about going. I have three other guys that are interested in going with me. The deal that they have among others is half day hunts lunch included for $125 per hunter. Each hunter can chose one of the following 10 quail, 6 chuckers or 4 pheasant.

What do you die hard upland bird hunters think about these deals? For me it will be the only way I can get some wing shooting in this winter.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm in the same boat as you, no dog, not a huge amount of upland birds around me, and don't get a lot of chances to go bird hunting. So, I went and did the pheasant hunt a few years ago. Anyway, it was fun, and I wanted to do it again, but the prices were a little steep. When I started working at a sporting clays range now, though, I started working with a guy that has a little preserve that does these hunts and has a bunch of dogs. So, he made the offer that whenever I want to go out and shoot some birds with him, all I had to cover was the cost of the birds. I will definately be taking up that offer. So, if you have the cash, yes, I'd do it and as much as I possibly could.

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Shottist
posted Hide Post
I don't consider it real hunting. Liberated birds don't hold as well or flush the same as wild birds. What is the difference between that type of bird hunting and the caged exotic hunts everyone claims isn't real hunting? I don't see a difference.

If your hunting dog is fat, then you aren't getting enough exercise. Smiler

Posts: 598 | Location: currently N 34.41 W 111.54 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Go for it. You only live once. There is absolutely nothing wrong with preserve type hunts. I've hunted both wild pheasant and preserve pheasant, wild quail and preserve quail. Frankly, they each have their pros and cons. There is no shame in preserve hunting. Better than staying home and watching hunting on tv... maybe guys hunting on a put and take operation. Just get out there. Oh... $125 with lunch is a great deal. I pay many times more than that...

Posts: 21 | Location: Deep South Texas | Registered: 24 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Oh, no. Not the canned/high fence hunting debate with birds now....Not in the BIRD FORUM! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! popcorn

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Haven't done it, but I think it's great for dog training; especially in the places it can be done year round and not just seasonally.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I just recently joined such a club about 30 mins from the house. I did this more for my puppy, now 8.5 months old, than for myself. I thought it would be a great idea to get her on some birds. I've hunted her 3 times now out there and has been a real joy watching her I've luckily had the opportunity to take her out on wild birds twice now. I can tell you she has absolutely no hesitation on the wild or preserve birds.

On a side note, I took her out this past Monday. They turned 5 pheasants loose for me that morning. We ended up with 11 pheasants on 14 shots. Guess the guys who hunted over the weekend missed a few!! I missed another cock and a chuker that surprized the crap out of me and lucky for the chukar my gun jammed after the first shot. You could tell by the look on her face that she was disapointed I missed those two birds!

To be honest I was only going to join for this year initially. HOwever, I'll be joining again after watching how much fun my dog has and how much fun I have watching her!!

At $125 a day, guides, dogs, and lunch, that sounds about right. I'd do it!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
I went. It was a blast. As everyone seemed to say it wasn't the same as "real" hunting but I'll do it again.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
Ask to hunt put and take chukar. They flush and fly providing great sport!
Jeff in south Texas

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am with The Shottist (and much as I hate to agree with a Bosox fan about anything, I also have the same wail as Kamo Gari)Smiler.

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote