THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Mystery deaths of ducks in Idaho

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mystery deaths of ducks in Idaho
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
There was a news item several days ago on AP which I read on the internet that several thousand mallard ducks were found dead in what was called "south central" Idaho. Apparently a preliminary autopsy on some birds indicated that the ducks died from a bacterial infection. (Asian bird flu is not suspected) I wonder if any Westerners have heard anything as a follow up to this story. Mallards always seemed to me to be a real hardy duck and if I was a duck hunter in Idaho, I would be scared so I hope someone can give an update on this story. (The news item said that Fish and Game authorities were warning hunters not to touch such dead birds if found)

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Preliminary diagnosis is that the birds died from eating moldy grain gleaned from a nearby field. Forget the name of the actual poison, but it's pretty well solved.

The creek was near Oakley. HTH, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem is aflatoxin poisoning. It is pretty much an every year thing in this country. The grain hits the ground, gets moist, and the mold grows. Birds eat it and it is extremely toxic to them.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
The mold name they mentioned was NOT aflatoxin, it was another one. FWIW, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ergot ?? Not uncommon purple mold found on grains .Has the parent chemical of LSD ! Makes people do weird things !! wave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dutch:

Glad to read that there is an explanation. Thanks for the info.

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote