New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun fitting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I had a visit with Chris Batha today. I have to say that it was incredibly interesting and very worthwhile except for my own personal f'up. I left the shims I needed at home.

First, I was astounded how each of the 5 shotguns I took shot so completely differently. Some high. Some low. Some left. Some right. I was absolutely floored.

He filmed me. This clearly showed some bad habits that I have. One of which is the reason that I often get smacked in the jaw while high volume shooting.

Was it worth it? Heck yes. I wish I had done this before.

Posts: 12104 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Good to hear that larryshores, I am so glad you found the gunfit session worthwhile.

SECOND STEP:
Gun-fitting was the first step and there is no one better in the States than Chris. I know you are serious about the big picture (I would have helped you out but you are real far away from me). Once you are comfortable with the gunfit and whatever homework Chris has given you...then and only then...you need to head out to John Woolley. Another Brit, he lives just North of Gainesville, FL. He understands the high volume shooting aspect (Argentina) and will take your shooting to the next level. Here is his website. John is a shotgun instructor...one of the best Stateside....a true Gentleman.

http://www.woolleyshooting.com/

Between the two baptisms from Chris and John, you will be 95% ahead of the curve compared to most shotgun shooters.

All the best

Oz

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you sir.

Posts: 12104 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I leave for Argentina in 12 days . Hopefully this will help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck Larry!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by collector:
SECOND STEP:
Gun-fitting was the first step and there is no one better in the States than Chris. I know you are serious about the big picture (I would have helped you out but you are real far away from me). Once you are comfortable with the gunfit and whatever homework Chris has given you...then and only then...you need to head out to John Woolley. Another Brit, he lives just North of Gainesville, FL. He understands the high volume shooting aspect (Argentina) and will take your shooting to the next level. Here is his website. John is a shotgun instructor...one of the best Stateside....a true Gentleman.

http://www.woolleyshooting.com/

Between the two baptisms from Chris and John, you will be 95% ahead of the curve compared to most shotgun shooters.

All the best

Oz

I concur in regards to Chris ,who I have known for over 25 years. There are few if any who do it better.

So thats where Wooley disappeared too. I lost track of John a good while back . Glad to see he's doing well.

Larry hope you enjoy to Argentina trip

Posts: 618 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Larry,

Did you get the alterations done on the guns already?

One thing to keep in mind where gun fitting is concerned is that the dimensions from one gun will not be the same required dimensions for another gun unless they are a true pair.

We get a lot of people here that have had a fitting on a gun and get a "prescription" and then try and fit the same measurements of cast and drop to a second gun they have not gone through the fitting process with.

You did well to take all five guns with you.

Good luck in Argentina.

Rgds,
Kiri

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kiri:

I did a stupid thing. I left the Benelli shims at home. I am trying to decide if that is because I am 56 or it is from working extreme hours. Regardless, It fouled up the trip. My fault totally.

I took the worst offender (Super Black Eagle II) along with Chris' notes to my gun guys and they shimmed it.

Each gun was absolutely different. I was totally shocked.

I may pay another visit to Chris when he returns later this year.

Thanks. Argentina is always fun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I modified the Benelli SBE II based upon Chris' advice. All I can saw is WOW! it definitely made a difference. I always did well but this year was insane. I think the fitting made a difference.

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Glad it went well mate.

I went to Africa a couple of years back with a new gun. The smith decided prior to departure that I couldn't possibly need a quarter of an inch of cast, so he put an eighth on instead. The result was I got really frustrated by the gun not shooting to my sight pictures.

I came back the next year and had the extra cast added before our dove trip and the effect was amazing.

Looking forward to some pics or video if you can post some.

Rgds,
K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote