THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Chokes mistaken for ammo in luggage

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chokes mistaken for ammo in luggage
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Heads up, guys.

I just returned from Argentina. On the flight down I put two sets of choke tubes in my gun case with my shotguns. For whatever reason, probably in my hurry to pack for home, I threw them in my luggage. Xrays @ Buenos Aries airport caught them and the security personnel thought they were shotgun ammo. I was called to the counter, and then to the luggage loading dock, literally under the aircraft, where I then had to claim my bag and return to the RENAIR police desk and sort it all out. Cops were fine and laughed it off.

Frustrating, embarassing, and needless. Entirely my fault.

FYI.

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TWL:
Heads up, guys.

I just returned from Argentina. On the flight down I put two sets of choke tubes in my gun case with my shotguns. No issues. On the way home, for whatever reason, probably in my hurry to pack, I threw them in my luggage. Xrays @ Buenos Aries airport caught them and the security personnel thought they were shotgun ammo. I was called to the counter, and then to the luggage loading dock, literally under the aircraft, where I then had to claim my bag and return to the RENAIR police desk and sort it all out. Cops were fine and laughed it off.

Frustrating, embarassing, and needless. Entirely my fault.

FYI.

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
I always try to be ultra sceptical on such matters when I'm travelling with guns.

A couple of years ago Diggory and I werE heading somewherE to look at a collection of guns, and dig had snap caps in his luggage. Customs seized them because they thought they could be used to cause problems on the plane.

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you have any other problems with your own guns? My booking agent don't want us take our own. They don't recommend it.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No other issues.

114-R10David

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi, Ty.

Great trip. Check your PMs.

114-R10David

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Did you have any other problems with your own guns? My booking agent don't want us take our own. They don't recommend it.

I have gone down there maybe 15 times. I have never had a problem bringing my own guns.

Posts: 12096 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
I would take my own in the future.

K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me add another comment on this matter.

I typically go with both of my kids. We take our own guns. We take choke tubes just in case the situation warrants a change. On one trip, we had 6 sets of choke tubes ( 2 guns each).

Upon my return to Orlando, they were ALL gone. Someone had taken them.

Posts: 12096 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Larry,

This is sadly a relatively common occurance from some locations dependingon how you secure the guns. I rarely travel to or from the states with firearms but TSA locks have a lot to answer for.

A friend of mine had a Purdey hammergun taken from the case on the way home from the states. There was no recourse at all, as the luggage had arrived intact, (ie the case) and contents were unsubstatiated?!?!?!?

Pelicases or combination hard cases are the only way I would transport firearms and I would not use TSA locks ever.

K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have friends who were accosted, robbed, and stripped to their underwear at their hotl in Argentina. The only reason their weren't stolen is because they were being cleaned. It was an insider job. And no was was caught

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdstewart:
I have friends who were accosted, robbed, and stripped to their underwear at their hotl in Argentina. The only reason their weren't stolen is because they were being cleaned. It was an insider job. And no was was caught

There is a lot of theft there without question. I try to avoid spending the night in hotels there is possible.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

I typically go with both of my kids. We take our own guns. We take choke tubes just in case the situation warrants a change. On one trip, we had 6 sets of choke tubes ( 2 guns each).

Like Larry,I have been over 15 times and with a family group...for many years we carried our own guns,with no problems, until the overall cost and permit fees just about equaled the gun rental fees,for the last several times we used and wore out theirs in lieu of ours..completely no gun hassle........

Posts: 282 | Location: TALLAHASSEE,FL | Registered: 08 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCOOK:
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

Like Larry,I have been over 15 times and with a family group...for many years we carried our own guns,with no problems, until the overall cost and permit fees just about equaled the gun rental fees,for the last several times we used and wore out theirs in lieu of ours..completely no gun hassle........

I've been about five times. My outfitter has Beretta 391s and I just use theirs. As you said, I'd rather wear out their guns. I rarely have had jamming issues. They replace the guts to keep them alive and replace the guns every few years. It saves a lot of hassle.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote