Find
Notify
Tools

Re: AR dove shoot tournament
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
January would be better for me.

Posts: 265 | Location: south texas | Registered: 30 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm up for shooting doves but will pass on the beer. Would it be possible to add on a day or two of pigeon shooting at our own expense?

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted Hide Post
Who would be interested in a high volume dove shooting tournament for AR members? I will lodge and feed everybody, you pay for your shells and license. I read a lot about dove shooting from you guys but the Argentines have a saying:
"horse flesh is best judged on the track". We could do it complete with prizes and find out who the AR champion is. One prize for dove shooting champion and another for beer drinking champion.

one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted Hide Post
If it looks like this idea will take wing (pun intended) I will post it on the African forum too.
You can shoot pigeon or whatever else you want to hunt after the AR shoot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hell, half the fun is cheering or jeering at your buddy's shots. I'm in if it doesn't come in the middle of deer season.....basically Nov thru Jan....or until I kill a monster......which is probably the twelfth of never.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted Hide Post
I can do this anytime from now till February 15th. I guess input from everyone who signs up will detrmine the exact dates.

one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted Hide Post
I know what you mean about the competition taking away from the enjoyment. That happened to me when I was younger and took myself seriously. I just thought I would start with the harrasing right away. You can expect a lot more when the shooting starts. This won't be a formal type of thing as that would make it too much like work for me. It would be for fun and a big photo pile and some pretty impresive numbers to brag on. If we get something like a dozen shooters together for a 3 or 4 day shoot we could be looking at a bag size of antwhere from 10,000 to 50,000 birds depending on the shooters skill and endurance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
How about Oct 15th give or take a few days? Still be late winter and cooler down there.

I've got to get my passport renewed. I just noticed that it expired this year.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to go, but would opt out of the dove shooting competition part of the tournament and would only audit the beer drinking contest. After a particularly memorable New Year's Eve and the next day about 10 years ago or so, my New Year's Resolution was that I would never get commode hugging drunk again, one of the few (well, the only one ) that I've kept, although it has been close a time or two since.

I don't dislike competition, I just prefer it on dead targets. I hunt doves for the fun of it, and to enjoy myself, if I'm worried about percentages or totals then it definitely takes away some of the enjoyment FOR ME. Junior competitions, (one minute, one box, how many doves for an example) (Texas limit, 3 minutes max, 15 doves or less, how many shots? is another)are fun for me because of their short duration and the ability to have a cheering....uuunnnhh....jeering gallery. I was shooting down there one time, and the guide made the comment about how almost no one can run 90% on a case of shells, I did by about one shot, but it was a grind and I hated it. Great idea tho, let's do it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am very intrested !!!!!!!!!!! I tried to send you a private message but no luck
Thanks

Posts: 265 | Location: south texas | Registered: 30 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted Hide Post
click on the link to my web site in this post and then click on contact or e-mail me at john@sportingD.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of the action is on the African Forum so you might try posting it there.

What time of the year are we talking about?

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote