THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    There is no shame in asking for help, or is there?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

There is no shame in asking for help, or is there?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted
Always a first time, and now for a first time some clients of mine each wants to bring two shotguns in 12 gauge into South Africa. This would normally be a no-no, but as they wish to bring an O/U and a SxS each there may be good enough motivation to motivate to SAPS that they are not really invading the country!

My most important question is probably about how long before the arrival do you need to apply? Then any pointers as to what arguments to put up as motivation why a wingshooter will want to bring an O/U and a SxS into the country?

Any help, pointers and experiences will be appreciated.

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Andrew

The only way this works is if they get pre issued permits from central firearms in Pretoria. Even then it is not for sure and I would leave three months as a buffer in case they reject them and need them redone.

This last couple of years these rules have been completely inflexible by SAPS but you might get lucky.

At this stage I would also be concerned of the officers at the airport trying to overrule any issues they spot such as these as their attempts at extorting "tips" is getting worse every time I go there.

My advice is send them to Afton to get their permits done and they will deal with it for them and notify them of any hiccups.

K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote