THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    News reporter goes to see what quail hunting is

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

News reporter goes to see what quail hunting is
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
With that Chaney thing, shooting a fellow bird hunter.

I was watching the local news and this Dumbass reporter did this story on "what Quail hunting is" . Opviously the reporter was some liberal city boy that didnt have a clue.

The reporter acted all amazed at what was inside a shot shell. He showed one cut open and was dumbfounded that it had these little lead balls inside. He acted like it was some kind top secret ammo never known of before by civilized man. The reporter obviously had been liveing in a closet with his head in a bucket of sand.

Luckley He went to HighDesert hunt club and the owners took control of the report and showed they stressed safety , and showed a nice GSP working a field, hold a great point, and retereive . Pretty cool.

Then the dumbass reporter had to comment that a quail flew right at him and was almost hit by a flying quail (Quail attacks humans),and could see how Chaney could have shot some one. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GSP7:

I have watched the same kind of totally ignorant "reporting" and was appalled at the complete ignorance of the media.

Having said this ( and I am a conservative supporter of the President) I am bothered about some things.

According to Mrs. Armstrong, the owner of the ranch where the incident happened, Mr. Cheney was using a 28 ga. shotgun. We all can agree that this is a very light shotgun. Nonetheless, at what Mrs. Armstrong said was a distance of 30 yards, the injured man was hit in the chest by birdshot intended for quail (7 1/2s - 8s or even 9s ?) One of those pellets is supposed to have penetrated several layers of clothing, entered his chest and worked its way to his heart? I don't believe it - not at 30 yards. (Remember. it's 30 yards according to the official account) Another point - Cheney gave an interview to Fox's Brit Hume in which he said he moved off to the RIGHT after the subsequently injured hunter had dropped a bird. It turns out (according to the VP's own statement to Brit Hume) that he shot his companion and shot was on the RIGHT side of the companion's face. Just do a little thinking. There is something very wrong here. In my life I never heard of bird shooters (outside of turkey shooters which is a completely different kind of bird shooting) shooting one another - and I was a ruffed grouse fanatic - and THAT'S a bird that can fly unpredictably! I confess that quail never were a favorite hunt of mine - so maybe it's as dangerous as turkey shooting! Smiler Comments please!

Posts: 800 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I quail hunt almost everyday during the season . Mostly California or Valley quail in hilly areas. If quail flush and fly toward who ever your hunting with or a Bird Dog is in the way , You dont shoot, Your hunting buddy might get a shot though. I jump hundreds of quail about ever couple days and only get a few clear shots. Its the same with Forest Grouse , most times you cant even get a shot at birds you flush.

I dont know what Happened with this Chaney thing and the media is full of shit and just out to make up some wild story.
I would not be suprized if he wasnt even hunting or shooting at a bird when the guy was hit. Maybe Chaney was setting his $20,000 gun down and it fell on the ground or he shot the guy while standing by his truck because of unsafe gun handleing.

The most probable potential accidents Ive incountered was while training and setting a gun down on the ground while handleing a dog and the possiblity of a dog stepping on a gun and haveing it go off. I put a sling on my training shotgun and try and keep it over my shoulder while handling a dog during training know .

Most the time I hunt alone or with a good friend that I know , knows how to handle a shotgun. I realy dont like hunting with strangers that are not experienced. I also would never let a inexperinced gunhandler or Questionable hunter hunt with me over my Bird Dogs.

Ive gone out training dogs with a acuantance that brought some of his friends to shoot birds. After seeing That this guys friends were just trigger happy fools and were also trying to borrow ammo of me, I loaded up my dogs and left.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
I quail hunt almost everyday during the season . Mostly California or Valley quail in hilly areas. If quail flush and fly toward who ever your hunting with or a Bird Dog is in the way , You dont shoot, Your hunting buddy might get a shot though. I jump hundreds of quail about ever couple days and only get a few clear shots. Its the same with Forest Grouse , most times you cant even get a shot at birds you flush.

I dont know what Happened with this Chaney thing and the media is full of shit and just out to make up some wild story.
I would not be suprized if he wasnt even hunting or shooting at a bird when the guy was hit. Maybe Chaney was setting his $20,000 gun down and it fell on the ground or he shot the guy while standing by his truck because of unsafe gun handleing.

The most probable potential accidents Ive incountered was while training and setting a gun down on the ground while handleing a dog and the possiblity of a dog stepping on a gun and haveing it go off. I put a sling on my training shotgun and try and keep it over my shoulder while handling a dog during training know .

Most the time I hunt alone or with a good friend that I know , knows how to handle a shotgun. I realy dont like hunting with strangers that are not experienced. I also would never let a inexperinced gunhandler or Questionable hunter hunt with me over my Bird Dogs.

Ive gone out training dogs with a acuantance that brought some of his friends to shoot birds. After seeing That this guys friends were just trigger happy fools and were also trying to borrow ammo of me, I loaded up my dogs and left.

I agree wholeheartedly. Much better to pass up the shot, than run the risk of a shooting accident.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave:

I think that we all can accept that "hunting accidents" occur - but usually they are the result of careless gun handling - and by that I mean, carelessness in going over a fence or stonewall with a shotgun or carelessness in unloading a firearm. Sure, sometimes, people fire at what they think is a game target -and turns out to be a human being. ( (In my state of NY we have hits on people in turkey hunting every season) What I find difficult to understand is how a hunter standing in fairly open country (as VP Cheney was) in still pretty good daylight, could fire and hit a human being -while shooting at a flying target. I know, people can say "You weren't there" but I do know the self discipline of all hunters ( the real kind) and however erratically a bird flew I know I could stop myself from swinging to fire if a man appeared - even if he popped up like a Jack in the Box. Someone has posted the possibility that the shotgun went off because the VP stumbled or fell. Frankly, I am inclining to the same idea-because I just don't believe that quail loads from a 28 ga. at 30 yards could penetrate several layers of clothing, enter the man's chest and work its way to his heart - a quail weighs about half a pound, for heaven's sake! (I hasten to repeat that I am a conservative supporter of my President. I am bothered by this story as a hunter)

Posts: 800 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GSP,

Do you hunt at the High Desert Hunt Club? I met Lisa through the Puddel Pointer Club and guided hunters there for the first few years it was open.

Brett

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brett, No I have never been there but a guy that had trained with Us had gone there with his business clients. Thats the first time ive heard of the place.
I avoid those so called hunt clubs. I dont know what High Desrert is Like, Maybe its a More realistic hunt area, But the other hunt clubs Ive tryed were a total "Joke"

one of us
posted Hide Post
The HDHC is part of the Tahone ranch. Lisa McNamee's (spelling?) father has leased a large area for quite a long time. Part of the land they have was formerly operated as a hunt club by Winchester.

They have the usual put and take bird shooting operation but also a very healthy population of valley quail. They have put "guzzlers" all over the place and the quail populaiton has boomed. I have had meany good days pushing them off the hill tops into sage in the bottoms of draws and shooting the singles...

Brett