New
Find
Notify
Tools

Idaho Sage grouse counts
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am conducting sage grouse counts again this year. This will be my 7th year working with sage grouse. So far this year we are getting a little rain and snow. This will give us a good bug crop and the grass is growing. I have not looked at long term weather but if the rain tapers off a little and is dry for the hatch I think this year will be better than last for chukar and sage grouse in southern Idaho. Everything looks good so far. Here are a few pictures from 5-15-05.
I took Gretta to help me locate where the "lost" leks were. Some times the leks will relocate from year to year. Gretta helped me locate several hens. I kick her out and she runs in front of the truck. In this picture she is pointing a hen.
Forgive the pictures. I was about 100 yards away and I used my spotting scope held up to my camera. Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Those are some great photos. Thanks for the work you do on behalf of the birds! I went to college in Idaho and it was a great state for bird hunting. I may consider returning at retirement time so Ican hunt the great variety of upland birds.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Hey Ron, good work!

How's that new sharptail population doing your way? Do you know? Wondering if we might get a season one of these days (and keep you guys on that side of the state Wink. Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think we will be having a season any time soon. I might have to see if I can shoot every sharptail on the east side of the state! Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote