THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Cast n' Blast- Dog's first hunt

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cast n' Blast- Dog's first hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted
I just returned from a great hunting and fishing weekend up North near International Falls, MN with a coworker buddy and our dogs. We went grouse hunting on Saturday on private and public land, then fishing on Rainy Lake on Sunday.

The highlight of the trip for me was my 2-year old lab Buck's first day hunting, and he had a great start. We kicked up several ruffed and sharptail grouse, and a lone woodcock- but couldn't manage to hit any. The only bird I shot at was the woodcock, which I plainly missed. We still had fun working trails in the woods and open fields.

My buddy had his 10 month old vizsla Nos out, and the dogs worked together surprisingly well. Nos has a little more experience afield and was leading the way most of the time, but Buck eventually gained some independence and would cover ground like Nos. He was alert and aware when we did see birds, and listened very well to me.

Rain turned into snow on Saturday afternoon, and continued off-and-on through Sunday afternoon. We set out onto Rainy Lake on Sunday morning during a snowstorm and fished in 40 feet of water near the Canada side, jigging with minnows. The other two guys picked up a couple of small walleyes and crappie while I had nothing, and after an hour I finally hooked a fish. It turned out to be a 15.5" crappie, which is easily my biggest crappie so far. It will fit nicely in a frying pan.

All in all it was a great expedition! I love the variety Minnesota offers, and was very happy to finally hunt with my dog. Now I just have to shoot something for him to bring to me.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 776 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Beautifull dogs and photos .I hunt a lot with my labs ,and its really a pleasure than only labs owners can understand .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
Thanks Juan! I'm very glad I got a lab. We had a great time together.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 776 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote