THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Shot loads today vs old days...

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shot loads today vs old days...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello all.

Todays loads for shotguns are loaded with a heavier load firing at higher speeds and the loads used in the old days, say 1900-1940.

I am interested in finding out, maybe some can help me, how much harder todays loads are? I know that the 1 oz load was the norm back then, but what about speed?
Why I am interested? Well, I just got a old S/S in 20g with 2 3/4" chamber. With todays loads, will the 20g be closer to what a 12g was capable of?

All help information will be good.

Happy hunting.

Posts: 75 | Location: Norway | Registered: 08 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The old standard 20 bore load was 7/8 oz (24grams) of shot. But there are plenty of 1 oz ans 1 1/16 oz (28, 30 and even 32g) loads out there. The standard 12 load was always 11/16, with the light load being 1oz, high birds with 1 1/8 and duck 11/4. In a side by side 20 bore which will weigh less than 6lbs I would stick with light 22 or24 gram loads. There are plenty of modern 20 over and unders that are close to 7lbs in weight, these are ok with the bigger loads, but for a lighter gun stick with the light loads. There is nothing more horrible to shoot than a 20 bore with heavy loads - they have a horrible snappy kick. Stick with loads it was designed for and they are nice to use. I have gone the whole hog and use a side by side 410 with just1/2 oz of shot and don't find it lacking.

Posts: 985 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Heym. I like the 2o gauge and have harvested just as many birds witht the 20 and it is lighter and less punishing than the 12. Hercules powders makes a good reloading manual with all the recipes for the various gauges. I personally like 2 3/4 but my friends use 3 inch as well as 3.5 inch for there 12 gauges. Its a matter of preference.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The load really depends on the target on how and where you are shooting at the target. A standard 20g load in various shot sizes is all you need these hyper velocity shells for long range shooting at some point become a moot point as your physics will tell you that a spherical shape will slow down faster when it is started faster so a 1200 fps load will arrive at 35 meters at the same speed that a load started at 1500 fps. The only thing that has been accomplished in an older SXS is the shooter and the gun gets beat up.
Where modern shell have really improved is in the pattern they throw. The patterns as a hole are much tighter and more consistent (less flyers) You will find that a improved cyl choked barrel or 1/4 choke or say .010 constriction with good shells will be more like a modified or 1/2 choked barrels. Not knowing what you plan on using the gun for my suggestion is to shoot standard to light loads and they will be kind to you and your new gun..

Posts: 1626 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote