Find
Notify
Tools

20 Gauge Loads
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted
I bought my wife an 11-87 20 gauge youth model for Christmas. Have any of you guys used 20's for Turkey? What loads would you suggest? Shots will be 20 yards and under as I hunt her from a blind, and we have a bazillion Turkeys around here. I was thinking 3" #6's from a full choke. Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike

NEVER BOOK A HUNT WITH JEFF BLAIR AT BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING!

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

At 20 yds and under your choice is a good one. My only suggestion is to pattern the load at 20 yds. If you have a gun with choke tubes I'd suggest trying a modified tube as well as full.

Sam

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snipe Hunter
posted Hide Post
I'll second everything Sam said. In fact, at just twenty yards you should have some extremely dense patterns.

SH

------------------------------------
I admit there are advantages in game of every type;
But I've never heard of beast or bird to excel the twisting snipe.
Nicholas Kane, Louisiana, 1880

Got Snipe?

Posts: 83 | Location: Out in some godforsaken marsh | Registered: 21 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of splinterhands
posted Hide Post
My first turkey was a fall hen shot with a 20 guage. At twenty yards you'll have no problem. Just get a box of #6 and #4 shot and see how they do. You may be able to pattern out to 25-30 yards if you get lucky.

"I'm smiling because they haven't found the bodies."

Posts: 1081 | Location: Pearisburg Virginia | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote