Find
Notify
Tools

Re: My first US hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Mel,
I must tell you that the drive you speak of is beautiful but my nerves took a beating on the thin roads and free for all traffic race. My head was killing me when we got to NE. The only "medicine" available was scotch and brandy. I learned to like both in a hurry.
I was told that there was no hunting allowed in the country. My host had a handgun permit but each of his bullets had to be accounted for with the gov't. The plains areas to the North are pretty much off limits to me being an American due to travel restrictions. My hosts go there all the time but understood my situation.
I had a driver/bodyguard who fought through the war and felt perfectly comfortable going anywhere.
Ironically, they were worried about me returning to the States when our security alert was raised. My gracious host offered to fly my family to SL for a vacation. Perspective is a strange thing.
I made friends with my clients and am hoping to return to do some further work for them.
Best regards,
Jeff

Posts: 177 | Location: Arcadia, Florida | Registered: 15 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good hunt. I have some friends and clients who live in that area and spend the winters down here in Florida. I guide quail, hog and turkey hunts for them.

I've read many of your posts with interests. Are you from India?

I recently returned from Sri Lanka. It looked as if there could have been some great hunting there at one time. Hopefully, I will return in the next few months to do some more dog work.

Best and welcome to U.S. wingshooting.

Jeff

Posts: 177 | Location: Arcadia, Florida | Registered: 15 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Jeff,

Yes, I am from India and in the US while my wife works for a Mission here in Appleton, WI. If you do come here, feel welcome to drop in at my place for a beer and some spicy Indian food.

Sri Lanka used to be a major bird hunting destination in the old days though the civil war there has ended all recreational hunting altogether. A very large number of Sri Lankans still own guns, though and if the war ends they may start offering hunts again as the country has maintained it's wilderness and natural resources much better than India has. You can also hunt boar in the hills of Neuwaraeliya if you are close to any of the tea estate owners. I presume the boar hunts would still be available as that area has not been touched by the war.

Best wishes and good hunting!

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote