Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2 1/2 inch 12 guage shells
 Login/Join

posted
I'mm looking for some sources for 21/2 inch 12 guage shells in the US and for reloading componenents if possible.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Mr. WH

Posts: 18 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ron: the next time you come here, look for 2 1/2 shells and dies, which are pretty much still in use. The Primera Orbea brand comes to mind and there are many custom die makers.
Good shooting

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you don't reload, Game bore is probably your best bet.

They are sold by Balistics Products, Galazan's and some other places. If you do reload Balistic Products makes a nice reloading book on reloading for vintage British 2 1/2" and 2" guns.

Posts: 364 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My thanks to all for the informative and very helpful information. This request was made in light of possibly purchasing a gold label, and given its weight (61/4lbs.) toning it down and making it work like a proper upland gun. Again, my thanks to all.

Mr.WH

Posts: 18 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, in that case, the length of the shell bears little relationship to load contained within, and therefore the resulting recoil is much less dependent on shell length than payload and velocity. Your best bet for low recoil is to use the special low-recoiling trap loads. There are even some 7/8 oz 12 gauge loads on the market.

But never fear. Whenever Ruger's long awaited SxS makes it to the market, it will weigh at least a pound more than it's advertised weight. This is true of most guns, and particularly true of Rugers.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you roll your own, there are many light 7/8oz loads that will fit the bill. Still break clays and down smaller birds, and almost no recoil out of a 12 guage.

Posts: 364 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
NEXT TIME WE WILL HUNT PARTRIGE,AND DUCKS IN ONE OF MY OWN RANCHES WITH MY POINTERS WEIMARANERS SPANIEL BRETONS AND IRISH SETTERS.JUAN CONGRATULATIONS TO RON HE IS A REAL HUNTER TOO.

Posts: 6367 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I returned several weeks ago from a dove hunt in Argentina where I shot 1000 to 1500 dove loads (2 3/4 inch) per day using a 12 gauge side by side which does have a recoil pad and which weighs 6 1/2 pounds. In addition, I did wear a thin Cabelas recoil pad on my shoulder with no bruising or soreness of my shoulder. If your gun fits you properly, it makes a bit difference in the recoil department.

I did have some problems on a previous high volume dove hunt from the trigger bruising my middle finger of my shooting hand. This was solved by purchasing a glove shooting from www.gripswell.com . This also took care of my problem of a side by side getting so hot that burns your nonshooting hand.

Here is a picture of my son and what the ground looks like after shooting for an hour.

Ron L

Posts: 276 | Location: hendersonville, nc 28739 | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote