One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted
My buddy, Brian, & I decided to take the dogs & go after Sharptail Grouse here

in Wyoming. It's big country & you typically walk a mile or two for every bird

you get. The dogs get a great workout as well. I have the two shorthairs,

Ozzy & Baxter, while Brian runs a pair of English Setters (burr magnets!),

Lacy & Sadie. The setters are actually bigger runners than my lazy pair

of GSP's, but by the end of the day, we surprisingly got more birds.

Hope I can post a photo?

Posts: 521 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fun stuff....love hunting sharpies.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice bunch of Sharptails
I just saw a few of them along side the road by Alladin, WY last week when picking up some cattle.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sharpies are without a doubt, one of the most challenging upland birds out there. I tend to focus so much time and energy on those wiley critters, that is has become an absolute obsession. By the end of the season (I also end up sacrificing half of the general pheasant season chasing sharpies) it has definitely become personal.
Here in southern Alberta, the population has pretty wild swings in the numbers. Last year we were on an alltime high in the cycle, and this year the numbers had dropped to a more average number.
I love shooting vintage guns, and last year my goal was to get a two-bird day with my old 14 gauge damascus. I load the old black-powder gun fairly light, with a one ounce load, and it was tough dropping those sharpies when they would flush wild fourty yards out.
This year, with the lower numbers, I went back to using one of my twenty-eight gauge guns, with a goal of trying to get a full one-day limit of 5. A few of them made it to the barbeque, but I never did fill a limit! Next year!!

Posts: 177 | Location: Brooks, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wyoming sharpies....great fun!

Burr magnets..they are beautiful dogs but do require high maintenance.

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Nice bag of sharpies JB! I hunted them for the first time this past September and found them to be great fun. Long walks interspersed with eruptions of the big birds flushing 15 to 40 yards ahead of us providing sporting shooting.

I am a convert!

Well done.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
Love those wily sharptails. We hunt them up in Northern MN near International Falls. Walk the woods for ruffed grouse and the fields for sharpies.

First time I saw a group a few years ago, I thought they were hen pheasants and couldn't believe my eyes.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 776 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Love it mate. I'm very jealous!!

What are they like on the table?

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote