Find
Notify
Tools

Finally, a pheasant
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted
I went hunting with a couple of buddies on Friday and finally shot something for my lab Buck to retrieve. We hunted on public and private land near my hometown in Southern Minnesota and I was surprised to see that many birds- it made for a great day. Buck flushed seven pheasants (two hens, five roosters) the field and I one lone rooster flush in front of me at the edge of a cattail slough.

He saw my pheasant go down and was on it quickly. Buck was hunting very close to me but I didn't have a problem with that. The birds weren't flushing very far away.

After hunting the public field we walked along this woodline for a bit (on private land) and kicked up some rabbits, so we put Buck back in the truck and went after them and got two. I like mixed bag hunts.

It was my friend Mark's first hunt too and he had two roosters flush in front of him- despite missing both he had fun and wants to go back in December. We will!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 776 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like all had a good time, especially Buck.

You may have to get him a GoPro for a dog's eye view.

Enjoy the pix. Keep 'em coming.

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
Thanks GWB! A GoPro would be lots of fun.

Posts: 776 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Evan K.:
Thanks GWB! A GoPro would be lots of fun.

They are most definitely.

you could fashion a harness mount and download the app to you smart phone and have a ball.

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Congratulations great dog ,i love labs ,and hunt everyday with 3 of them .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way to go Buck..... make sure Evan K knows who gets most of the credit and make sure he gives you a taste when your hard earned bird hits the table
Have a Very Merry

Posts: 1625 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Was he ever gun shy?
Anyway, congratulation on taking the challenges.

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
you could fashion a harness mount and download the app to you smart phone and have a ball.

Best,

GWB

We'll see what happens. I have carried an old Nikon in the field this year and the videos are lower quality but will work for now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSMXfYh6IBE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlDeMjtZ0OE

quote:
Originally posted by juanpozzi:
Congratulations great dog ,i love labs ,and hunt everyday with 3 of them .

Thanks, he has learned to hunt upland game much quicker than I expected. We didn't get to go hunt geese or ducks this year, which was disappointing because he loves water and is great with retrieving on lakes and rivers, but the grouse and pheasants were fun.

quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr:
Way to go Buck..... make sure Evan K knows who gets most of the credit and make sure he gives you a taste when your hard earned bird hits the table
Have a Very Merry

Thanks, hope you had a Merry Christmas too. Buck worked his butt off for me this year and he's earned his rewards.

quote:
Originally posted by Norseman:
Was he ever gun shy?
Anyway, congratulation on taking the challenges.

He has never been gun shy, actually he gets very excited when he sees and hears shotguns now. Buck is a smart dog and training him to this level has been easier than I expected. I'm very glad I got him.