New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chukar question...
 Login/Join

<Ben H>
posted
Greetings from Iraq. One of our interpreters has two chukars (wings clipped) he keeps as pets. He says they inhabit Northern Iraq and are quite plentiful in the mountains there. I've never hunted them in North America and was wondering if they are an introduced species like pheasants and huns.

Thanks,
Ben H

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Yup, Hungarian Patridge, Chuckar and Pheasant are all Eurasian species (as is the red legged partridge).

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/accounts/alectoris/a._chukar$narrative.html

HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Ben H,
We have huntable populations around Thermop and Cody. Great bird.

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Riaan>
posted
Ben, I’ve hunted them in WA state, where they inhabit the worst terrain imaginable!

They are extremely dangerous birds to hunt. They mock you with their calls until you lose all reason and follow them into places that no human being should go. They then always flush when you have one foot in the air and another on a slippery & loose rock.

It seems to me that chukar hunting can be as addictive as the worst drugs. Once you’ve hunted them, they even cause involuntary flashbacks. I’ve had experiences when the mere sight of a non-negotiable cliff makes my hands tremble, my trigger finger itch, my breath rush, & my eyes dart from side to side. This is the nice flashback. The dribbling can be somewhat embarrassing, but I can live with that.

The bad flashbacks are the ones where you wake up all sweaty at night, or during a legislative meeting, shouting “Damm, damm, damm you chukar!” People, especially in Africa, just don’t understand that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ben, I have hunted them for several yrs. here is Eye-daho. I used to be like Riann, too.

Then I read a hunting story by Patrick McManus, the famous former Field & Stream humorist, that contained buried within it the one true secret to hunting Chukar.

Climb first. Then hunt down.

They do like to hang out where there is seedy grass (like cheatgrass) and some water source nearby.

Edited to ask: Do you intend to hunt them with your M4? Or do you have access to a 12ga?

[ 08-26-2003, 02:43: Message edited by: Dave R ]

Posts: 132 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is good to hear, as a recovering chukar addict, I have hunted these little bastards in Washington, Idaho, and Oregon, loved every minute of it.
I have had to pass up shots because I couldn't let go of the hillside I was walking/climbing on in pursuit, anyone who has hunted the Snake river breaks knows what I mean. [Smile]

They are tough birds, make sure you use enough gun and tight chokes. My favorite is high-base 6-71/2's, 12ga of course, there is nothing more disheartening, than to climb to the top of a steep canyon, flush a single, paste him, and then watch him set his wings and and travel 400 yards, die, drop 1000 feet to the very bottom of the canyon you just spent the last two hours climbing up. It will happen, if you have a dog that will go get it, just remember to feed him T-bones once in a while.

Get after them, can't you hear them mocking you? [Wink]

Posts: 484 | Location: SLC, UT | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
<Red Green>
posted
Tasty bird. I live near the Snake River breaks, and reading Low-Tech's account of watching a dead bird fly out of sight brings back a lot of memories of cramped legs, burning lungs and a 6.5 pound shotgun feeling like a 50 pound brick.

Make sure you and your dog are in great shape, and you won't find a more fun and challenging bird to pursue. Recently read that the numbers are up this year, too. Can't wait!!!

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I just read a book last night that summed it up perfectly: " To hunt Chuckars, you must love pain as much as the birds".

So true. Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
just remember: Chukars are not hard to hit---they are just extremely easy to miss. enjoy

Posts: 33 | Location: the dalles, orygun | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not something I would purposely hunt, that's for sure.

Posts: 118 | Location: Milton, Florida USA | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k2 in orygun:
just remember: Chukars are not hard to hit---they are just extremely easy to miss. enjoy

after trying to keep up with the dogs while working a running (uphill of course!) covey of chuker, I've never wanted to kill a bird so bad in my life!!!

Posts: 93 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa, USA | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Amazing!!

This little bird was my staple quarry in Cyprus as a teen, and I'm pleased to hear their overseas counterparts behave in the same way!!

I love this bird and apart from a resemblace to red legs in the feather, they are a law unto themselves. They may sit amazingly tight or they run off the hill as soon as you set foot. You see them from the car as you drive to the meeting area, and don't flush on all day when you are walking them up, even though they are chittering everywhere???

Rhian... Do you have themn in africa?

Regards,

Kiri

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
<Riaan>
posted
Hallo Kiri,

In the past some chukars have been scattered thru Southern Africa, but they don�t seem to have adapted successfully. The only place I know where they are breeding successfully is on Robben Island, just off the coast from Cape Town. In earlier times some, no doubt introduced, appeared on Table Mountain, in Natal, and some even in Zimbabwe. I don�t know if a lack of critical mass in the initial population, the local predators or a lack of needed food, caused their failure to increase in other parts of South Africa.

Regards from Africa.

posted Hide Post
I got a couple of chukar opening weekend, over by Coulee Dam and theyare fun to hunt but the birds I got were really tough and tough to eat. we've been shooting a lot of California quail and they've been tasty.

Riaan, Are you going to be in Puallup this year? I'd like to stand you to dinner and a pint.

Posts: 3 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: 24 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Havn't hunted Chuckars in a couple of years, but me and the brother-in-law went out coyote hunting Monday and jumped an unusual amount of birds (200+) just walking to our setups for dogs. Wouldn't you know all the good hunting & fishing falls at the same time, chuckars everywhere, coyotes running in from all directions, and can't keep the Steelhead off my jet boat. Decisions, decisions......

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Bearcat,

would you mind telling me where you seen 200+
chukar's?
I have not had any luck this year after hunting the Deschute river, John Day river and buttercreek area south of Hermiston. I might have to take off to Brownlee or Oxbow reservior's along the Snake river but it's a 6 hour drive one way. However I did manage limit out on pheasant every time I hunted Pendleton area & Umatila indian reservation but I much prefer to hunt chukar's. If you feel uncomfortable about releasing information on the inter-net, then send me a PM (personal message).
Thank you.