THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Re: caliber/choke questions...

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: caliber/choke questions...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Stonecreek:

You're ahead of me, I've killed 5 or 6 doubles, but never a triple. And half of the "doubles" was one shot, two pigs which doesn't really count IMO.

Of course, I had a whole sounder of pigs walking by me one time, as I was frozen standing up with a Marlin .45-70 in one hand down by my side. One pig walked so close to me I thought he was going to step on my toes. About the time he stopped and started to realize that something wasn't quite right with this picture, I tried to John Wayne him, firing the .45-70 one handed. I managed a clean miss at a range of no more than 3 feet. Top that.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Turkey - don't hunt them

Quail - 28 ga O/U cyl and imp cyl with 3/4 oz of 7 1/2's

Dove - 28 ga O/U cyl and imp cyl with 3/4 oz of 7 1/2's

Pheasant - 20 ga O/U imp cyl and mod choke with 1 oz of 6's and 5's

Chukar - 20 ga O/U imp cyl and mod choke with 1 oz of 6's

Duck - dont hunt them

The following is the reason I can get away with the open chokes. He just brings a new meaning to going hunting.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek:

While I am not a turkey hunter (as far as I'm concerned they are feathered rats eating my deer corn)I have a friend who hunts on my place (among many) and wakes up every morning thinking about how to kill turkeys. FYI the reason they are hunted with a shotgun is that is the sporting method, wherein the hunter has to call them into range (or get lucky ) to kill one. Any idiot can kill a turkey with a rifle and in many, if not most areas of the country, it is illegal to shoot them with a rifle.

Quote:

1. I've never found a need for a 3" shell in any gauge, much less a 3 1/2 inch shell.

2. Twelve gauge is large enough for anything, and larger than necessary for most.

3. The difference in effective range between the small gauges and the large gauges on birds the size of dove and quail is five yards or less.

4. It's a lot more important that you shoot where the bird is than what you shoot it with.

1. Since you admit that you don't hunt ducks or geese, your opinion obviously has little real world validity because that is exactly the type of hunting where the longer shells (especially if you are forced to shoot steel) are most useful.

2. True, but on a bluebird day a man with a 12 standing next to a man with a 10 in a goose pit will be very short when the birds are counted.

3. Completely false.

4. Almost completely true but only if they're in the range of what you are shooting with (try 9s on 50 yard ducks sometime, I don't care if you're dead on them, unless the magic pellet hits the brain, they'll keep flying EVERY shot).

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote