New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Loads for Duck?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am just starting to get into waterfowl and I am trying to get as much info as possible. One of the questions I have is what loads should I be shooting. I know I have to shoot steel or another non-tox, and my budget just allows for steel.

What ounce and shot size should I be using for ducks. I am shooting a 3 inch.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once you develop skill with the use of shooting steel it works as it should-within shorter ranges than heavier shot be it lead, bismuth etc... I tend to favor #1 steel for both Geese and ducks at 35 or 40 yds and find it favorable. Now if it is pass shooting I will use either #2 or #4's come to think of it I even use lighter loads for pass shooting as well and that is pure joy - just depends on you and your skill-don't blame it on the shotgun though. good shooting and have fun.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I usually use 2's or 4's, in 3 inch if we're pass shooting, and usually 2 3/4, sometimes 3 inch over decoys. Sometimes later in the season I use 3 inch BB as well. I've always just used steel, other options too pricey so far.

Posts: 44 | Location: Winkler, MB | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
For general use, I use steel 2s, but if I'm targeting a specific species (teal, canadas or eider for example), I'll use a shot size better suited to what I feel kills better and/or doesn't destroy the bird. BBs on teal not such a good idea, but on the relative heavyweights of the H2Ofowl world like big geese and eider, I'll only normally shoot 2s or better, such as BB.

Shoot 'em in the teeth!

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
36grams of 3's.

It does the business on everything for me if the range is sensible.

FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just remember steel is quit a bit lighter than lead so velocity is where you are going to pick up alot of your killing power. If you are not reloading that newer line of high velocity Expert shotshells by Winchester will be fine, if you want to spend a little more $$ the Kent line of high velocity shells are great too. I tend to shoot mostly BB's at almost everything, for smallerducks 2's or 3's will be fine.Hope this helps!

Big-un

Posts: 81 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. I picked up a case of Kent 3 inch number 3's. They are moving at 1560, I think. Let's just see if I can hit anything.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The kents are an excellent choice. I believe the load you have is the 1&1/8th ounce load. My younger brother hunt's alot of waterfoul near Idaho Falls and uses that load in #1 shot exclusively. The #3s are good too but in my opinion the #1's make a better dual purpose duck and goose load if ranges are a little longish.

I use the Kent 3&1/2 with 1&3/8 ounces of #1 or #3. It is supposed to clock 1550 and it works wery well for me. I dropped 3 geese with 3 shots opening day near Idaho Falls at over 45 yards with the #1s. I have also had good luck with the same load in federal Speed shok.

Posts: 31 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 20 August 2004Reply With Quote