THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Grouse hunting in New England

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grouse hunting in New England
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I thought I would post a review of our 2009 Grouse (Pa'tridge)season in New England. We hunted 36 days in Coos County New Hampshire, the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont as well as the Berkshires of Massachusetts. Our Llewellin setters, Scout and Boo had a terrific season. Scout is a 4 year old pro but this was Boo's first season.

The dogs:

Scout and Boo our tri-colored team of llewellins warming up on robins in the yard

Pointing New England grouse and woodcock

walking up on a point

My wife took her first grouse in an abandoned Vermont orchard

A crop full of Hawthorns

Nice looking New England coverts

Boo's first grouse in the Berkshires

Gifts from the red gods of the uplands

9 1/2 months until crisp fall days and peak foliage.....

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim."
Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, March 15, 1910

Posts: 250 | Location: Central Massachusetts | Registered: 02 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful.....even if it is my own backyard. Nice pics, thanks.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
I will never tire of stomping Coos, and indeed, all over New England, from ocean to mountain. You hunt in Pittsburg, NH area, I assume. Never made it up to Indian Head Stream or any of the other areas that are usually pretty good, but next year for sure. The wife loved hiking up to the firetower on Magalloway up in Pittsburg a couple years ago. My rifle and pack weighed about a ton by the time I was up it, but a great day it was. Wink

I used to hike, camp and hunt in the NEK years and years ago. Does Gallops Mill Road ring a bell? Smiler

Great pics, and thanks for sharing!

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
BTW, whacha' totin' there?

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As you both apparently know well, there is no place like New England in the autumn.

We hunted some in Pittsburg but it was very crowded this year; to much press in recent years. The early season was good though. The NEK was terrific this year, but the the areas I hunt in Northern Berkshire county were tough due to last years ice storm. Tough walking but there will be good grouse shooting for years to come as a result.

The shotgun is a Ithaca Flues 20 gauge. Nothing special but weighs about 5 pounds and carries and swings like a dream. I had the chokes opened to skeet/skeet a few years back. I'd be afraid to carry a nice gun in grouse cover due to the beating it would take.

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim."

Posts: 250 | Location: Central Massachusetts | Registered: 02 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Atticus. I still remember enjoying your moose hunt story a few years back. Hope you don't mind me adding a few New England pics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful photos Kamo!

One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Absolutely gorgeous pictures.....Fantastic !!!

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both sets are absolutely lovely pictures.

I spent 1996 living in Boston. Not much money, no car, wife doing grad school back in Australia while I was working there. I really regret I didn't get out of the city much. This post has got me thinking hard I need to get back over to New England some time to see a bit of what i missed out on back then.

cheers,
- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pics! A grouse/woodcock hunt in New England is on my bucket list! The habitat and quarry are certainly unique for this Texas quail hunter! And a bit more scenic than what I am used to...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks to all posters for recalling this old man's memories of what I consider "the King of game birds"! (I really don't brook any arguments on this!) Smiler Despite most of a lifetime's hunting for "partridges" as they say in New England (or more accurately as they say up there 'patridges",abbreviated to "pats")Smiler, I only hunted them once in Vermont -with my usual rate of success. (I spent a lifetime trying to drop them in NY so I never really thought I was going to do any better elsewhere) Smiler It was fun to walk up a slope against some woods with sunlight on the slope , stop -and wait for a "pat" to lose his nerve and fly. It rarely happened and it was usually me who was surprised at the sudden flight. (whether in VT. or my home state of NY). Again, thanks to everyone for the memories of a bird that never made it easy!

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote