New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ithaca mod. 37?
 Login/Join

<Kalle Stolt>
posted
I would like your opinions on the Ithaca shotguns. They are not very well known of in Sweden, but my impression is that they are very dependable. Correct?

<Savage 99>
posted
The Ithaka 37 is by far my favorite for a hunting pump shotgun. Here in Connecticut there are many of them for sale at low prices. Why this is I do not know.

Of course many of these are well worn but not all. I have had one for a long time and just got another. I paid $219 for a 16 ga and it's almost as good as new. In fact when you examine it closely it's much better in detail than many new guns if you appreciate fine metal work.

There are a number of shops here that have as many as four or five 37's for sale and prices range from $175 thru $350.

Now some expert trapshooter or skeet shooter might inform me that such and such a pump is better but that's ok with me. What I am getting at is that the Winchester M 12's go for more used and I wonder why?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not only my favorite shotgun that I own, it is my favorite gun, period. The only problem I had, was using it as a turkey gun-the recoil was absolutely brutal when using turkey loads-Could never pattern it before gobbler season, because I kept getting wacked in the nose. I bought the Ithaca turkey retro kit-dont know if they are still available-ported barrel, synthetic stock, forend, recoil pad all in camo-now it is a dream to shoot.
If you are looking to buy one, you should consider what its purpose would be. If you weant an all purpose gun, where you have the option of interchanging barrels and chokes, then you should get one with a serial number above 855,000. Many say the older ones shoot better, but if you go pre 855,000 you lose the interchangeable barrel capability. Personally, I prefer my two POST 855,000 to my one pre 855,000.

Posts: 156 | Registered: 02 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Connecticut, the Model 37 Deer Slayer was my deer rifle of choice for hunting on public land. A friend of mine has been shooting his upland game with a M-37 16 ga for as long as I can remember. I was never much of a shotgunner, but I have couple in my rack. The 37 is a good working shotgun. You will be well served by one.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
A classic, very reliable, well made and designed pump shotgun. I inherited my father's 16 ga and it is 52 years old. Had to replace the magazine spring but otherwise it functions as if new.

They are a bit muzzle light compared to a Model 12 Winchester or 870 Remington.

One little quirk in their design is they have to be cycled at moderate to full speed or they can jam. I suppose that might be true with other pump designs as well.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THE FIRST 12 GA. I EVER SHOT WAS MY DAD'S M-37 DEERSLAYER. I LATER BOUGHT A M-37 FEATHERLIGHT WHEN I WAS 16, HAVE HAD IT FOR OVER 20 YEARS. I HAVE TAKEN ALMOST ALL GAME WITH IT IN MY AREA. EVEN DEER HUNTED WITH IT USING SLUGS. I ALSO HAVE A 20 INCH RIOT WHICH I HAVE CARRIED ON DUTY. THE M-37 IS AN ALL STEEL FRAME, NOT USING ALLOYS FOR THE LIGHT WEIGHT, BUT SMART ENGINEERING. MY DAD STILL HAS HIS, HAS HAD IT OVER 40 YEARS. I HIGHLY RECCOMEND IT FOR A HUNTING GUN, A JOY TO CARRY. WHEN I USED TO DO LOTS OF WATERFOWL HUNTING I HAD THE STOCK LOADED WITH # 8 SHOT, ADDING ABOUT 8 ONCES OF WEIGHT TO REDUCE RECOIL.

GOOD LUCK AND GOOD HUNTING,
ETERRY

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a question for you long time model 37 lovers, I have a used one in good condition that I have been using for a few years now, and it has started to be a bit quirky, won't eject a fired shell, and sometimes won't feed a new one even after it has ejected the empty. And sometimes feeds the live one behind the dead one cause it didn't eject.
This only seems to happen when I cycle the action in the field after a shot at game, maybe I rack it with more force, but when test fired and racked lightly eveything works ok. Other than that I love the gun. I'm shoot lefty, and love the light weight. I havn't taken it apart cause I havn't commited to that yet, how hard are they to put back together, it might just be a weak extractor, or a rough chamber(?)
It gets cleaned with solvent sprayed into the action and lightly oiled once in a while.
It has always done this, but it is happening with getter frequency as time goes buy, I got it a pawn shop, and shoot it more than any of my other shotguns because I like the way it points,

what do you suggest?

anybody else knows what it feels like to drop the hammer on an empty chamber when mister rooster cackles and flies away?

Posts: 484 | Location: SLC, UT | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Low Tech, sounds like the timing is off on your M37. It is easily adjusted, by some of the screws in the reciever. Check at www.ithacagun.com, and they should be able to tell you how to adjust it. I did this on a riot gun I had a long time ago, and it worked well, but I forgot how to do it exactly. I have one now, but haven't shot it yet. My main beef with the Ithaca is the light weight, those suckers kick! I wouldn't have this one, but it was in my brother's estate when he passed away recently. I like the 870 myself, they don't kick so much and fit me better than the Ithacas.

Posts: 116 | Location: KY | Registered: 20 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kalle Stolt,

I liked my 16 ga model 37 featherlight. It did not have a vent rib. Always dependable. The bottom load, bottom eject was fab. The bright orange 'raybar' front sight worked great, too. The only thing I didn't like was the full choke. It really peppered the game if you shot too quick. Wish I still had it. Some crook kidnapped it while I was away at college. I never bothered to write down the serial number so the cops don't even have a way to trace it.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
glenn asher

the link you provided doesn't work for me, but thanks for the heads up that I can adjust the "timing" with the screws on the action.
I will do a bit more research and see what I can come up with.

Posts: 484 | Location: SLC, UT | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ithaca has been producing shotguns for over 100 years. They started with sxs guns, many with damascus barrels. Some of the early guns are very collectable here.

Pheasants were introduced to this country and became a major choice of upland hunters by the early 1930's. By that time, most states had a pheasant season. The M37 was introduced shortly before WWII. In part, to help Ithaca compete with other American gun makers for the growing demand for light, upland guns. They produced a modified version for military use during WWII and during Vietnam. The M37 is unique in that as long as you hold the trigger and cycle the pump, the gun will continue to fire. This was considered an advantage for military and police use. It can be a disadvantage for hunters.

They made a major change in the late 1940's. Guns after serial number 855,000 have barrels that fit differently to the receiver. Parts and barrels are still available for all the M37's from Ithaca. In fact, Ithaca is one the few companies that will recondition an older gun.

I have an early Ultralight M37 in 20ga. Years ago, someone had it fitted for screw-in chokes. It is one of my favorite field guns for grouse. It weighs only about 5.5 lbs with a 26" barrel. They are expensive new, but you can usually pick up a used M37 for about $350 here in the states.

By the way, Ithaca is not to be confused with the New Ithaca Double gun company which just went out of business. They were producing custom sxs for the carriage trade. Very nice, but with a starting price of $14,000 out of the reach of most hunters.

Regards,

Pete

[ 10-29-2003, 03:56: Message edited by: Quail Wing ]

<mike elmer>
posted
I like my Ithica 37 Featherweight. I bought it when I turned 12, bought it in 12 ga. with a Mod. choke. The stock is a little too short for me, and I do prefer to use my Win. 1300 for fox hunting and squirrels only because of the interchangable chokes. The Ithica is light and a dream to carry, and I never seem to notice the kick when shooting at game.

One thing to know about the earlier ones, if you keep the trigger squeezed after the first shot and rack the slide, it will keep firing as soon as the action closes. Never found it to be a practical thing for hunting, but when practicing for home defense, it is rather impressive.