THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    First duck of the new season.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First duck of the new season.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted
Went to a Buffalo Handling Workshop in Hamilton Saturday but got to get out this morning, here is todays proceeds so far, and no matter how many times I throw him in, the cat simply will not retrieve.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll guarantee you won't see that fowling combination too often......a cat and a single-shot. rotflmo

What other species drop into your water holes in that area....I'm assuming they're tanks?

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a little bit of everything. Very few cinnamon teal or black ducks. but most of the other freshwater birds, both puddlers and divers. Hooded Mergansers do appear faily often, I have never managed to kill a drake one of those however. A few woodies pass thru. Yes all of my hunting is on stock tanks, luckily we finally got some rain over the past couple of monmths and the birds are beginning to show up.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is the proceeds from this morning rounds.

These three were all that was there, but at least with them and the one from Sunday morning, we have enough for a meal.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
CC: After you and the gato have eaten your teal, tell us about the buffalo handling workshop.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a long story at the least. To try and keep it from being boring, my boss, Robert Stewart, and I have known each other for a little over 40 years. We are both students of the Old West. From May of 1982 until june of 2006 I worked at the Fort Worth Texas Zoo. during that time, for 15 years of that time I worked with American Buffalo/Bison, including hand raising one from the time it was 8 hours old until it was an adult.

Robert has always been interested in Buffalo as have I and since I went to work for him in 2009, we have talked intermittenly about putting together a small herd of buffalo/bison on one of the places he owns.

Fast forward to a couple of months back, and things began to fall into place, where the idea had the posibility of becoming reality. Robert began looking into the situation more ernestly, and we went and visited one couple that have a small herd, about 20 animals. Then Robert and I went to the Wichita Mountains National Wildlife Refuge 41st. Annual Buffalo auction on the 27th. of October.

One reason we went was to get an idea as to what buffalo are selling for, the other reason is that both of us had talked about going ever since the auctions began, but just never had gone. A short while after the auction, Robert and his wife went to another persons place that has a amall herd to look at his facilities and learn more about raising the animals.

It was during that visit that Robert found out about the Handling & Management seminar. It was to be held on November 5, opening day of deer season here in Texas. Given the choice between deer hunting and learning more about buffalo, we picked buffalo.

The seminar gave Robert and his Daughter and Son-In-Law a chance for some actual hands on interaction with the animals. Even though I had some experience, including hand raising one, me explaing things that I had experienced is not as good as actual hands on interaction.

There is a lot of interest in raising buffalo and in selling the meat. We are in the process now of evaluating what we need to do as far as fencing and handling facilities are concerned before we start buying animals.