Find
Notify
Tools

Help with Euro birds
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
I was out taking photos of ducks when this group swam up. What are they?

I assume these mallards are the same as the North American variety. Anybody know?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
They are.

Posts: 22 | Location: Tennessee/Kentucky Border | Registered: 19 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
And the black with white face birds are...?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's "fulica atra".
Sorry don't know the english name.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2094 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
And the black with white face birds are...?

Eurasian coots.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
With the Latin (thanks Caracal) I was able to find the French name as well: foulque macroule.

One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Pics.

First pic is Eurasian Coot (Fulica atra) along with chicks. Coots are vicious with their brood, they will actually kill the chics if there is not enough food in the area they are raising them in. May sound brutal, but then the remaining chics can survive, propagation of species. Amazing that these things can count.

MALLARD:
New World (North American) Mallard is slightly larger in size than the Old World (Eurasian) Mallard. Species is the same. Even sub-species is the same, but there is a slight difference in size.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by collector:
First pic is Eurasian Coot (Fulica atra) along with chicks. Coots are vicious with their brood, they will actually kill the chics if there is not enough food in the area they are raising them in. May sound brutal, but then the remaining chics can survive, propagation of species. Amazing that these things can count.

Its not just their own young they will kill. They relish killing other ducklings and chicks.I won't tollerate them on any of our ponds during the spring.

Posts: 618 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Jools, thanks for the update on Coot behavior. I did not realize they were doing that to other species as well. In North American Continent they raise their young in Canada, so we do not get to witness their habits throughout the year.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Got another bird ID question. Sorry about the poor photograph, but this bird flew into our yard and starting eating the petals on my wife's flowers (which immediately created a hate relationship), and I've never seen anything like it before.

One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Wink that is a EUROPEAN GOLDFINCH (Carduelis carduelis)....hope this helps Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jools, thanks for the update on Coot behavior. I did not realize they were doing that to other species as well. In North American Continent they raise their young in Canada, so we do not get to witness their habits throughout the year.

They are an obnoxious bird. IMO

Doing more harm than good. Even my ferrets refuse to eat them.

Posts: 618 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Coot gizard salad is pretty good, other than than they are pretty useless except for dog training...

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wink that is a EUROPEAN GOLDFINCH (Carduelis carduelis)....hope this helps Smiler

Thanks. I informed my wife but she is somehow indifferent after watching the Goldfinch eat her flowers.

One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Ha ha ha....I am sure she will forgive them someday. You can possibly leave out a feeder next to the flowers, hopefully then birds will leave the flowers alone.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Interesting to read about coot behaviour. Here in NZ we have the Pukeko, our native moorhen. They are viscious killers. We live on a 1 acre property surrounded by larger 20 to 50 acre rural blocks. We used to raise about 40 bantams and 40 Kakhi Campbell ducks - free range. When they had chicks and ducklings, the Pukeko would hammer them along the fence line!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11245 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
@Nakihunter
Thanks for your insight...Coots, Gallinules, Swamphens are part of the same family (Rallidae) so although worlds apart, the behavior among them is quite common.

Here is my Pukeko (Purple Swamphen) from South Island of New Zealand which I hunted near Wanaka.

It was the biggest swamp bird in my collection until I got the Giant Coot high up in the Andes mountains of South America.
2.5 Pukekos = 1 Giant Coot...those things are massive.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Goldfinches like other seed eating birds provide a useful propagation service in the wild.

Agree re coots, bastard of an animal.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote