THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    If you and a mate book a duck hunt....

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you and a mate book a duck hunt....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What quantity of birds would be acceptable to YOU? I guided two wonderful Englishmen this weekend for a days waterfowling and between the two of them they bagged 42 assorted ducks and geese, would you find this acceptable?

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're kidding right? That would be an exponent of the daily limit in the US (except for maybe snow geese or coots Wink). Most states have around a 7 duck daily limit, add in a 2 or 3 goose limit and you're still less than half what they each killed. I suppose it all depends on one's expectations. Were they dissatisfied?

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where did you find "two wonderful Englishmen"? Big Grin

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norton they appeared very satisfied.

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It really all depends, I might be satisfied with 2 or 3 birds if I am going somewhere specially for that species, and I might want to shoot 80 or 90 birds if its the same species I kill at home.... It really all depends on the experience and the place.... I have shot 1 bird before on a hunt and been very very satisfied.

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends how far I had to travel.

Would I travel to Africa or Argentina for 6 ducks? No, but I might go to Arkansas for 6.

Posts: 12104 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry has it right. It's relative to the venue, and the trouble required to get there. I've shot more than that in one morning in Uruguay, and could have shot more. It all depends.

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting topic lal.

I would also like to know what the birdhunter expects from a bird hunt in terms of quantity, variety and accommodation if he or she is willing to travel to Africa.

Posts: 27 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 11 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
@lal

That is a great question.

TROPHY HUNTS
These are for a particular species. In this case one or two good pairs of species being sought after in the bag and you are done. For example a King Eider hunt in Alaska costs about $4,000 for 2 pairs of King Eiders (4 ducks total). That is it. Once the birds are in the bag, you are done. By the way $4,000 is just the hunting cost, include travel, taxidermy etc. and you are easily in the $8,000 to $10,000 range for a good pair of King Eider ducks.

VOLUME HUNTS
These are hot-barrel hunts. However the limit depends upon the area and country you are visiting. Here are some examples:

Mexico: About 25 birds per person per day would be a good Mexican hunt. Could be higher or lower depending on the state where hunt is conducted. So say the hunters get 25 birds per gun in the morning. You can move them to Goose hunting in the fields in the afternoon. Say they get 10 geese per gun. That is 35 birds per gun per day...not bad for Mexico.

Argentina: Different outfitters impose different limits. Some stop at 25 birds, some at 35 birds, per person, per day. Some give you 100 shells per hunt and once you are done shooting 100 shells you are done. For a good shot this could mean 100 ducks, or 1 duck...they put the weight on the shooter's shooting ability.

USA: We have a lot more hunters here so the bag limit is quite restrictive. 6 birds per day. So once 6 birds are in the bag, you are done. In some coastal states you can technically have a big bag. 6 puddle ducks, 7 seaducks, 2 brant geese, 12 snow geese, 3 canada geese = 30 waterfowl per day right here in the good old USA...all legal.

For South Africa a 20 bird per gun per day limit is quite nice. This would include both ducks and geese, say a combination of (Red-billed Teal, Yellow-billed Duck, Egyptian Geese, Spur-winged Geese). So 42 ducks and geese between the two Englishmen (21 per person per day) should be a fantastic hunt FOR SOUTH AFRICA. So market the hunt upfront, let them know that a "good shotgun shooter" can expect to bag xx birds per day.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies, I have a better idea now. One thing is for sure, I will not take a cent from a dissatisfied client, within reason ofcourse. I will only confirm a booking if I am satisfied the birds are plentiful and my clients will enjoy themselves.