New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tundra Swan
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For the second year in a row I've drawn a Tundra Swan permit for Virginia. Didn't get a chance to hunt them last year because the Navy kept me out of the country for the season. But this year looks good to go.

I've got permission to hunt a huge farm on the Virginia-North Carolina line. The farm actually has land in both states. The local game warden turned me onto the place because the farmer is always complaining about the amount of newly sprouted winter wheat the swans and snow geese eat. So he is really willing to accomadate reputable hunters. The game warden's rogering up for me came in handy.

I've never hunted the things before. Seen them, but never shot at them. I'm thinking about using a rag spread in the wheat fields. Anyone have any experience with swans and want to share advice. I'm thinking about steel BBBs for them. Not sure if that is the right choice or not but they pattern pretty good in my old pump.

Any advice for the hunt and for cooking the thing later would be welcome.

Cheers

Flags

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I think my experience would be applicable inspite of the opposite coasts.

I haven't observed swans to travel or congregate in as big a groups as geese so maybe less decoys are possible? What do you think about buying a half dozen or less shells? You may well be able to re sell them or give them away if you don't want to keep them to a club over there. I don't think swans are as wary as geese due to reduced hunting pressure so I'd prefer to find a ditch to hide in rather than a layout blind. They'll call less in flight than other waterfowl so better ability to look around you in a 360 seems important.

I still really like using Blackcloud #3's in a 3" gun. Modified or improved cyl. I didn't get any swans this fall but last fall I dumped one at about 40yds straight up and the year before filled my 3 bird annual limit.

The dog makes fairly good water retrieves but land is tougher dure to wings under feet, general size issues.

Dining is similar to goose and I really like it. I prefer a bake to 160 degrees, body cavity literally stuffed full of sliced or diced citrus, (cut up alot to allow all the juice to steam and penetrate,)and served cold with good mustard. Obviously eating hot out of the oven is great but it does seem to taste a little better as cold cuts.

Posts: 9475 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Anyone else got any advice? How about Collector? I'm sure he has probably got some relevant experience.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
There are 7 full species of swans in the world and we are so lucky here in the States that we have the privilege to hunt the Tundra swan as a game species.

COOKING
Now lets clear this up front...if you would like to hunt a swan and eat it then you do NOT want to target all white birds. What you want is a year old "grey bird" they will taste the best. The all white older birds are better left for taxidermy...they are not going to be as good as a year old grey bird.

SHELLS
For body shot anything bigger than BB and bigger will be fine, so BBB will be perfect. You can reach out a bit with non-toxic shot. If using steel BBB I would keep my shots under 30 yards otherwise you will wound the birds. For Head/neck shooting you can kill them clean with 4-shot if you want but put in your time at a Sporting Clays range if you are going to do that. If not, then stick with the BBB plan just make sure they are within 30 yards and you will smoke them clean in the air.

VIRGINIA vs NORTH CAROLINA
I have never hunted swans in Virginia so I am not sure how it is done over there. I have hunted Swans multiple times in North Carolina and have never been skunked. Have hunted with huge spreads consisting of hundreds of snow goose decoys on one hand to only a dozen fullbody swan decoys. So I cannot say with certainty what should be the best approach for you. Please see some pics below, you will get an idea.

Small spread for Swans with about a dozen decoys

Medium spread

Huuuge spread

One of the guys in the blind took a shot at this swan, it flew about 500 yards before it went down in a ditch, then it took forever to retrieve him.

Here is a pic I like to show my friends....this swan was bigger than a North Carolina doe Big Grin

CALLING
You can replicate a swan call with your mouth. It is not real hard, so no need to spend money or special swan calls (few manufacturers have them on market). That is strictly your decision. But swans do react to calls and you can turn them towards you if used properly.

All the best and please keep us posted on how your hunt went.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a ton of swans but none in north America. I shot them primarily in South America and new Zealand.

I have shot with several different loads. My personal favorite was the 3 1/2 #2's or BB's. I shot quite a few with 2 3/4 #4's. I have even killed them effectively with a 20 GA with low brass #5's.

I preferred eating them to eating ducks.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote