Find
Notify
Tools

Another foggy snipe hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snipe Hunter
posted
Since the weather forecast called for heavy fog early I didn't show up at the lake until about a quarter till eight. The action started out slow and I know it was at least 9:30 and maybe closer to 10:00 before I shot my first bird. Then I shot three others in no more than fifteen minutes. After that I had a little lull in the action but before 11:00 I picked up two more just a few minutes apart. After a half hour stop to rest I didn't walk far before I shot number seven. As soon as I put him in my pouch a bird flushed in front of me and crossed to my left back behind me. He was just taking his sweet time no more than fifteen yards away and wasn't getting any farther away. "Bang". He kept flying unscathed. "Bang" a second time and he didn't even get in a hurry. I was close to having enough time to reload and keep firing. It wasn't his day to die. It probably took me another fifteen minutes to get my last bird and head for home. Other than being too warm it was a nice day to be out there.

Skip

------------------------------------
I admit there are advantages in game of every type;
But I've never heard of beast or bird to excel the twisting snipe.
Nicholas Kane, Louisiana, 1880

Got Snipe?

Posts: 83 | Location: Out in some godforsaken marsh | Registered: 21 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Skip: Sweet. Takes me back many years to when I actually hunted snipe, too. Love the Web site. I guess I quit hunting them because I wasn't very good at cooking them. Makes me want to head for the marshes with a 20 or 28 ...

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16518 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote