Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Panhandle hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted
I just got back from a great time in the Texas Panhandle.I have had a standing invite for the last 6 years to go up and hunt ducks and quail with a friend of mine.If only I knew what I had been missing.

I had as much fun checking out the 36,000 acre ranch and its game as bird hunting.There are plenty of pronghorn,mule and whitetail deer on this ranch.

Every night after the hunt we settled in for cocktails while making dinner.Dinner being quail appetizers,grilled duck breast,rib-eyes or wild hog chops.And always a bottle of wine with dinner.

The best thing of all was everyone in the hunting party had all the same basic intrest.When it came to hunting,drinking,smoking & music.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
them ol' Panhandle and West texas boys ain't as backerds as ever one thangks. from the big grins, looks like yall had a helluva time. Kurt.

Posts: 205 | Location: Hondo Tx | Registered: 22 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kweber:
them ol' Panhandle and West texas boys ain't as backerds as ever one thangks. from the big grins, looks like yall had a helluva time. Kurt.

Yessir we had one helluva good time.Would have liked to stayed a week.Got invited back next year and told to bring a rifle.This is the first time that I blooded my shotgun,and have had it ten years or more.I would rather hunt with a rifle anyday.I will have to spend some time with that shot gun as I kinda sucked on the quail.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
haven't been up there since about '88, but looks like yall were close to the Canadian river.2 quail per person makes a good start on supper. betcha wish you'ld gone sooner. Kurt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
what's with the inscription on the pen in the last pic? Wink Kurt.

One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
Kurt I started kicking myself in the ass after I killed two ducks one hour into the first morning.This place is close to the Candian river.As far as the inscription on the pen I have no idea.An quail or duck breast was every night for the starters.

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
The breaks of the Canadian River are one of TX's best kept secrets...wish I still lived up there!

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of worriedman
posted Hide Post
Used to make the run up to Muleshoe every year from Ft. Worth. Great quail and pheasant hunting, and Ross's geese by the truck load. More Pintails there than I have ever seen any where else. Some of the finest people in the world as well, I do miss that part of the country!

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress." Mark Twain

Posts: 742 | Location: West Tennessee | Registered: 27 April 2004Reply With Quote