New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another M2 moment
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Had a late start to OB's this morning. Didn't get out there until nearly 11am and the birds were flying. The crane had moved their flyway a bit and a quick adjustment on my part resulted in 3 fairly quick kills. At 1pm I had the birds dressed and on the way back home. I was actually limited by 12:15. Lovin this new Benelli M2.

Texas Verminator
Verminator Predator Calls Pro Staff

Posts: 261 | Location: Big Spring, Texas | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way to go !!
Last year down in Wharton, TX on a goose hunt four of us opened up on a crane. That bad boy just kept on going. Flinched is about all he did.
What size load are you using ?
This year they were all over us but the season wasn't open yet.

Posts: 408 | Location: morgan city, LA | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Using Balck Cloud #4's the past week. I prefer the #3's but everyone is out. Cabelas finally got in a shipment and I have a case that will be in next week. I'm down to my last box of #4's. I hit 3 today that should have dropped. The last one I saw my shot wad hit the birds chest after the shot hit him. He kept flying and died probably a mile from me. They are really tough.

Texas Verminator

Posts: 261 | Location: Big Spring, Texas | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will have to try Black Cloud.
Thanks

Posts: 408 | Location: morgan city, LA | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Wow. Surprised you use 4s on birds that big. I'd probably shoot BBs at those suckers myself, or #2s at the least...

Nice looking little pile you've got there. They're on the hitlist, and sure are handsome. I hear they eat great. True?

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very true

Texas Verminator

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a couple several years ago in North Dakota and they soak up a lot of shot....as I recall the lab we had was very wary when he ran up to them.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Early in te season I thought about using one of my GSP's for retreiving. Changed my mind real quick when I went to get a bird that was busted up and had a real bad attitude. I think they could do some damage with that spear for a beak,especially the eyes. The dogs stay at home.

Texas Verminator

One of Us
Picture of girlfriday
posted Hide Post
Yep I would leave my dogs at home too. They are nasty looking birds with those becks. Thank god we dont have em like that in the UK. I was promised some goose hunting in Scotland last year but at the last minute it was called off. I was not impressed to say the least. Hoping for better luck in 2009.

Lisa

Posts: 40 | Location: English Lake District | Registered: 30 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never hunted a goose yet. They are plentiful about 100+ miles north of me. Heck, it's taken me 48 years to finally start crane hunting and I've been around them all my life. Pretty well set up as far as guns for the water fowl stuff now. Just got a notice from UPS, my case of Black Cloud from Cabelas will be in a day early,,,,TOMORROW !!!!!!!!! clap

Texas Verminator

One of Us
Picture of girlfriday
posted Hide Post
Cabelas um my fav hunting store shame the buggers are not here in the UK.

Happy hunting

Lisa

Posts: 40 | Location: English Lake District | Registered: 30 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the other thread you said you were using decoy's.
Stuffers?
I Don't know of anyone making crane decoy's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Need to do a search on crane decoys. I know of three different companies making them. The ones OB have are plastic hard shell. We are looking at getting two other types, full body foam and a wind sock type. Knutson's and Texas Waterfowlers carry the decoys.

Texas Verminator