THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    A wonderful morning at the crows!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A wonderful morning at the crows!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted

Just a short note - had a fabulous morning of decoyed crows on cabbage stubbles end of last week. 10 decoy birds and a small hide on some cabbage stubbles that sheep had been feeding on.
Birds flew in wonderfully and I managed a good double figure bag shooting my Browning 325 with 36 gram English 5s. Great sport!

Ps. Look at the length of the beak on the bottom bird! Huge!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2258 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent, my son loves calling crows. Thanks for the pic

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a largely undiscovered pastime. More fun than most hunts I've been on.

Posts: 20084 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a largely undiscovered pastime. More fun than most hunts I've been on.
That’s for sure, we can have some pretty good shoots at times here in the east !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crows are great fun, but they do get educated quickly!

Posts: 10589 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted 21 December 2021 23:20 Hide Post
Crows are great fun, but they do get educated quickly!

Charles, very true ! I am convinced they know my white Landy now and take off when I come around the corner! Clever birds!

Happy holidays

Charlie

Posts: 2258 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Charlie64, thanks again for sharing your unique hunts!

That bottom bird's beak....never seen anything that long, not even close, unless it was on a raven. In Montana you can't shoot raven or magpies and I firmly believe crows are so smart they know what you're thinking before you know what you're thinking. Nevertheless...I will be decoying some in the coming weeks.

Thanks again.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
mt Al, Thanks for your kind words. Always enjoying writing up hunts plus a couple of pictures here and there.

Why in the world are magpies (predators) protected ? Dont fathom that at all !

All the best for 2022!

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I was on Christmas leave in Wyoming visiting my parents about 15 years ago.

My uncle has 8 acres and he always leaves what is left from his elk carcass ( just bones mostly) in the field to bring in the crows. Lives near Riverton, Wyoming.

I managed a double and shot another 8 or 10 before they stopped flying in.

Using an electronic call.

Personally think it was one of the most fun things I have ever done.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie64:
mt Al, Thanks for your kind words. Always enjoying writing up hunts plus a couple of pictures here and there.

Why in the world are magpies (predators) protected ? Dont fathom that at all !

All the best for 2022!

Charlie, Funny thing is I don't know! I do recall that they were once more endangered, you can shoot them if they're bothering your livestock. It's idiotic though.

Looking forward to '22 outdoors!

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote