New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pheasant Rig
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is my favorite pheasant getters; Ben, my GSP and a Browning Citori White lightning 16ga.
The 16 has 26" tubes and very quick. Easy to carry all day in the CRP. 2nd is an older Citori Hunter in 20ga. Both are super deadly on the large birds and fun on quail and dove.
Hurry up Dec. 1st !!!!!!!!!!!!

16ga

20ga

Texas Verminator
Verminator Predator Calls Pro Staff

Posts: 261 | Location: Big Spring, Texas | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post

It took all day yesterday, but this morning we were limited out by 8 AM.

I dropped this rooster right at 55 yards with a B-80 20 ga., Fiocchi GP #5's, and the help of a Trulock PH extended choke. They don't get much deader better.

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy:

I'm perfectly willing to concede that you dropped a pheasant at 55 yards with a 20 using #5s - but the least you could do is to give some credit to Ben! (I noticed that you did not say that the bird dropped like a stone thanks to your great shooting!) Smiler

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
The dog is Rocky-- he's worked hard the last couple days and will probably sleep until Tuesday. You bet he deserves credit clap

Great shooting has little to do with it-- you just need a pattern left that is worth placing.

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 35Whelen
posted Hide Post
Well, here's some pics of my first pheasant hunt ever. 4 shots, 3 birds...yes I missed once.
Kinda funny, I live in Texas, but drove all the way to Iowa for the hunt. Not a hell of a lot of birds, but the company was great and I saw some country I'd never seen. Hopefully, next year I can drum up a hunt here in the ol' home state.

Poor Grace, my 3 1/2 y.o. GSP, had never had to retrieve THAT much bird! Quite a mouthful for her, but she got the hang of it. The rest of my "rig" is an AyA 20 ga. SxS 28" bbls. choked tight I/C & tight MOD firing 1 oz.of #5's; some Estate factory, some reloads..
35W

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"- Col. Townsend Whelen

Posts: 143 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
35-Whelen, what is the breeding of your 3.5 year old bitch? She looks just like a female I have in my kennel, who is out of "Magnums Touch Of Gold" a national field trial champion in 2003.

Looks like the group had a good outing and weather was great too.

Posts: 60 | Location: Columbia, MO. | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 35Whelen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thank A Vet for Freedom!:
35-Whelen, what is the breeding of your 3.5 year old bitch? She looks just like a female I have in my kennel, who is out of "Magnums Touch Of Gold" a national field trial champion in 2003.

Looks like the group had a good outing and weather was great too.

"Grace" was purchased here: http://www.wildrosegermanshorthairs.com. This kennel is about 50 mi. west of me in Seymour, TX. At the website you can see her sire who is: Rincon Slick Runner. If you click on his picture, you get the bloodline. I cannot remember her dams name and we're in the process of moving and her registration papers are packed away. As you can see, she is a spitting image of her sire. Here's a better picture taken of her on the last day of the hunt.

Ss you can see, she's quite photogenic! She's also the most intellegent animal I've ever owned. Looking forward to a litter of pups from her maybe next spring. I'll let you know if I find the breeding of her dam.
35W

One of Us
posted Hide Post
35 Whelen,

Now I know where my next dog might come from. Those are great bloodlines. In the first dog, you see Moesguards Copper Dollar was bred to Baroness Lias Susanne. I had a pup out of that litter and she was an absolute super star. She is gone now but I had her 16yrs. You can follow that line back to Erdinreichs Major, Moesguadrs Dandy and far enough to Tell. Tell is the dog that changed the shorthair, not Rusty. Rusty was a great one tho. Wish my old friend Jack Sappington was here to see that pedigree, he was the owner of Copper Dollar. I've hunted with him many times.

Thanks for the trip back! Here's me and "Hannah". She was 13yrs here and it was her last hunt. Moesguards Copper Dollar X Baroness Lisa Suzanne, the only breeding ever of those two.

I just noticed, you were using an AyA 20ga. That gun I'm holding is my favorite bird gun. It's an AyA 16ga!

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 35Whelen
posted Hide Post
Don, that's a beautiful picture of you and Hannah. I liken bird dogs, especially those that have been trained by their owners, to our own children. My dog pointing a covey or finding a dead bird is like my kid scoring a goal or touchdown or hitting a homerun, bringing home a good report card, etc. I have a picture of my last GSP, a male on our last hunt. He's pointing a covey of quail and his years are showing what with all the white hair on his muzzle, etc. I really cherish that pic probably like you cherish the one of you and Hannah.
Here's one of my favorite pictures of Grace. In it, she's not quite 5 months old, I'd owned her for about 1 month, and she found her first dead bird! Talk about being proud!!

35W

One of Us
posted Hide Post
35 Whelan,

Our childern and our dog's, brings back a special memory. My son did not grow up with me but when he was 14yrs old I did get him back. I introduced him to bird dogs and he'd go to all the Shoot to Retrieve trials with me.

The club I belonged to out of Portland, Ore had a training day at the kennel I was working out of in Scappose, Ore and at it we had a team shoot. The fastest team to put three quail in the bag. I did very well with Hannah, then my son wanted to try. So I gave him Hannah and he got paired with another guy. Fast? Nobody even came close to them. I took a good razzing about being beaten by my own kid with my own dog. What else could I say, hell I trained them both!

Have a good day,

Don

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tx6BR, That is a beautiful dog !

Posts: 26 | Location: Hampshire UK | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote