New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 20ga load for pheasant?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I load 1.1/8 oz of Magnum 6s in a 2.75in fed hull and herco powder in my 20ga. I have been using is load for years I really can't tell the differants between this and a 1.1/4 12 gage load. I have freinds that swear by copper plated 6's they seem to work great also.

It's all about wear you hit them hit them in the front and break wings and necks the come down and stay. Hit them towards the back they can be a bitch to kill. I always try and shoot them twice if I can. I find I lose a lot less birds if I can stick two shots into them.

Matter of fact Iam head out to SD. on Tuesday for the last five days of season. My son and I are takeing 2 20's and 2 12's they well all work just fine.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just looking for suggestions on what shot size/brand to use for pheasant. I've hunted quail and dove, but this will be my first pheasant hunt.

Thanks,

Dan

Posts: 350 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 30 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the heaviest load of #4 available. You can get 1 1/8 in a 2 3/4 inch and 1 1/4 in a 3 inch. Some people like 6's because there is more shot but I think 4's break them down better.

Posts: 125 | Location: Coalgate, Oklahoma | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 7/8 oz. of Ni #5's on wild birds.

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with cfore on using the heaviest load you can find. I prefer #5 shot when I can get it. I seldom see 1-1/8 oz. 2-3/4 inch loads here in Utah, and loads with #5 are even more scarce. You don't say if you will be hunting over dogs. If you use dogs you will probably get closer shots where 1 oz. of #6 should work fine. If you don't have dogs and you expect longer shots, I would go with #4. When I was growing up in Kansas I shot quite a few pheasants while I was quail hunting with field loads of #7-1/2 or #8 shot. In pheasant hunting I never did lots of shooting, so put a few #4 in one pocket and #6 in anoother.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was shooting 1 oz. of 6's in my first barrel and then 1 oz. of 4's in the second and it was working well and I never lost any birds this year that I hit. Part way through the season I read an article that suggested using largter shot. I did find however that the birds shot with 6's would have some shot just under the skin that did not penetrate any further but I never found that with the ones shot with 4's. I have been meaning to switch to 5's but haven't as yet.

Next year I am going to 5's and testing them out. In years previously, I have always used the 6 and 4 arrangement.

From my experience, one ounce is plenty adequate when shooting over a pointing dog.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been very satisfied with the Federal 12 ga. 2 3/4" 1 1/4 oz. #5 load. Go to www.natchezss.com to order.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Clark98ut:

You don't mention where and what kind of pheasants you will be hunting.

If it's a preserve, then No.7 1/2's will be fine for most shots (12 ga) and if it makes you feel better, No.6's for the second shot. (I have shot on several expensive preserves and field loads should be just right for a 12 ga)

If these are truly wild pheasants, I would use No.6's, high base loads and don't bother carrying anything else. ( a wild pheasant seems hardier and flies like a flying battleship. You must be on him or he keeps going.(No wing tipping shots work!) He also will be more ready to take off -after running away from you or the dog -and increasing the range, hence I suggest high base loads. In my opinion, shooting pheasants in a preserve is like shooting fish in a barrel. Once you see the real thing, you''ll know what I'm talking about. As to brand of ammo, any domestic ammo. (OK, I lean towards Remington - but only because I know it best)

Posts: 649 | Location: NY | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I have been very satisfied with the Federal 12 ga. 2 3/4" 1 1/4 oz. #5 load. Go to www.natchezss.com to order.

And gerald416

He's looking for 20 ga loads.

I haven't tried pheasants yet but I'd load 3" 1 1/4 oz #5's in my 20 ga for those big birds.
I had good success with 2 3/4" 1 oz #5's on called in crows last weekend.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Just looking for suggestions on what shot size/brand to use for pheasant. I've hunted quail and dove, but this will be my first pheasant hunt.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan,

Are you hunting wild pheasants over pointing dogs or flushing dogs? I have had good luck with the Federal Wing-Shok loads with the Pheasants Forever logo on them, 20 gauge, 2 3/4" with 1 oz of copper-plated 6's. If you are shooting a double barrel over pointing dogs, you can use an IC choke in the first barrel and MOD in the second. If you are shooting a single barrel or hunting over flushing dogs, use a MOD choke. These birds aren't bullet-proof, but if you don't hit them squarely in the front half, they will fly away.

Posts: 93 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa, USA | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Late season pheasants, lots of chances for long shots: I'd go for energy. 5's at least, and 4's if you can't find 5's. I'm not the worlds most experienced pheasant hunters, but at 35-40 yards, 6's are in-effective in my experience. Especially for going-away shots.

For 20 yard shots (pointers, close working flushers), 6's will do fine, but they lose a lot of energy between 20 and 40 yards. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
Try Federal's "Pheasants Forever" loads. We have had pretty good luck with them this year. My daughter shoots a Beretta AL391 youth model, and IM choke tube with 6 shot has been "nokin the snot" out of them.

Good luck!

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think that you gain much by stacking shot deeper in a given bore size than the bore size can deliver in a fairly compact shot string. That's why I seldom use more than an ounce of shot in a 20 gauge. I'd rather have a little more velocity than the 1 1/8 oz load and a little less shot, but a more effective shot pattern/string. So, my recommendation would be 1 oz of #6 in a high velocity load, and plated shot, if available, will get you a tad more effective pattern and penteration. Sixes have plenty of range for the kind of preserve shooting you'll be doing, and they'll tear up less meat.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 3" #1 or #2 Steel for late season pheasants. I like steel because usually the pellets go completely through the bird and that eliminates the "fur ball" pellets in the breast meat.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I've used Fiochi 3" Golden Pheasant loads with 1 1/4 oz. #5 shot with great success on wild pheasants. This factory load used Nickel plated shot and works great. Price is pretty good also they run about $10 per box.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2314 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WyoHunter
posted Hide Post
Remington has a new 20 ga pheasant load that just came out this spring. It's their Nitro Pheasant load if I remember correctly that uses copper plated shot at high velocity. I use 1 oz of 6's in my 20 ga. Weatherby Athena Grade III choked IC and MOD. When you hit them in the front half you'll do fine but hit them in the back half and you better hit them again or have a good dog. My Draht's a great pheasant dog and takes care of business when I fall a little short in my shooting. Wink

Be proud of each and every game animal you kill - big, small or no antlers!
NRA LIFE Member

Posts: 65 | Location: Central Wyoming, USA | Registered: 20 April 2003Reply With Quote