Find
Notify
Tools

Killing Crows
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted
I live near a crow roosting site and have a few opportunaties each night to shoot the crows that stop at my place on their way to roost. I use my 17 cal pellet rifle so meat damage is negligable. Any body got any crow recipies? Smiler

Posts: 3931 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why are you concerned with "meat damage?" Confused

I got a crow last year with my .22 pellet gun. They're hard to get, but since you know where they roost might be easier. Good luck.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to regularly weed out the crows and magpies (especially the magpies) in the neighbourhood. They would create hell, considerable damage and kill the song birds...the neighbours never had a prob as long as i sent the dog over the fences to retrieve the carcass.

Unfortunately, a so called 'animal lover' moved into the street and kicked up a hell of a stink. Now we have more magpies than at any other time, the song birds are all killed of and thebird shit is everywhere.............bloody liberals!

Posts: 157 | Location: Scotland at the mo. | Registered: 27 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
Dennis, crow isn't actually bad at all. Makes a good substitute for duck in a duck and sausage gumbo.

Or you can pound the breast meat to tenderize it, flour it, egg it, bread crumb it and fry it. Then pour spaghetti sauce on it and pasta.

one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why are you concerned with "meat damage?"

I currently have 4 and 19 of these black birds and when I reach 4 and 20, I'll bake a pie!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skinner.:
Dennis, crow isn't actually bad at all. Makes a good substitute for duck in a duck and sausage gumbo.

Or you can pound the breast meat to tenderize it, flour it, egg it, bread crumb it and fry it. Then pour spaghetti sauce on it and pasta.

Skinner, you must be a hell of a cook, even that crow sounds good!

Plinker

aim small, hit small

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisHP:
quote:
Why are you concerned with "meat damage?"

I currently have 4 and 19 of these black birds and when I reach 4 and 20, I'll bake a pie!

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin I'd have to pass on that.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScotsGun:
I used to regularly weed out the crows and magpies (especially the magpies) in the neighbourhood. They would create hell, considerable damage and kill the song birds...the neighbours never had a prob as long as i sent the dog over the fences to retrieve the carcass.

Unfortunately, a so called 'animal lover' moved into the street and kicked up a hell of a stink. Now we have more magpies than at any other time, the song birds are all killed of and thebird shit is everywhere.............bloody liberals!

Scotsgun, you could trap the birds. Not as much fun, but you'd be getting one over on the animal lovers.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
Dennis, log on to Crowbusters.com and you will find some recipies there. As well as some good photos. You will probably get a kick out of the PETA letters sent to their site.

Congressional power is like a toddler with a hammer. There is no limit to the damage that can be done before it is taken away from them.

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
Thanks Perforator! That Crow Creole recipie sounds pretty good.

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I've got to take a stand here. I'm not eating anything my dog won't retrieve.... JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a neighbor down the road who stopped me one day while she was walking her dog. I got down off the tractor and she told me I shouldn't shoot crows. I just smiled and told her crows carry West Nile Virus and asked if she had her horses vacinated yet. Now she thinks it is OK for me to shoot crows. I cherish her approval.....

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
Try Pickled crow gizzards they are great for breakfast. you can also make good rice dressing with them just substitute them for chicken gizzards in any recipie.
Also try a 12 ga shotgun and a Jimmy Stewart eletric calland a owl decoy. My buddy and I have killed over 100 in a late afternoon.
Dr B

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In response to not killing the crows....kill them they will come back. i know here in iowa they are consideered pests. we can take pigeons year round as long as they are within 100 yards of a bridge or structure. i shoot starlings every day( yes it is legal)

Posts: 412 | Location: Iowa, for now | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
let me make a correction crows are considered pests , but they do have a regulated season

Posts: 412 | Location: Iowa, for now | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, guys, I just ain't that hungry yet. thumbdown

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Irish Paul
posted Hide Post
Dennis,
I am not sure what state you are in, but here in CA, it is a misdemeanor to shoot crows out of season, although the season is quite long.

I cannot stand crows, and would use a flamethrower on them if permitted.
I would also second the use of an electronic call. I have one, and if I put it on in my front yard, within minutes, I will have a murder of crows circling overhead.
In Marin County, one cannot shoot within city limits, so the crow population grows unabated every year.

This year, I did have a funny encounter with a crow outside my house.
My contractor friends were running a nail gun in my garage, so the noise of my air rifle was covered up. I nailed a crow, busting it's wing. It did about 10 somersaults before hitting the ground, squawking like crazy.
A few minutes later, there were about 20 crows around it, all squawiking too. All my neighbours came out, and the one who knows me best asked me if I shot it. I had to lie to her!

Anyway, about 25 minutes later a Marin County Humane Society van pulled up and picked up the injured bird. No doubt, my property taxes went to its rehabilitation.
I have yet to shoot a crow since.

Never use a cat's arse to hold a tea-towel.

Posts: 280 | Location: California/Ireland | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I shot two with a Marlin 22mag once and my friends mother cooked them they tasted like sh*t but she could ruin anything she cooked. eek2

I switched to a 22-250 for maximum kill performance there wasn't anything left but feathers.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have eaten crows they taste a lot like duck. Very dark meat.

Are anunal crow shoot is this weekend decoys and shot guns. The best week end has been 185 crows. avg is around 100.

Just pick up a Benelli M1 cammo should work great.

Posts: 19597 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Duck taste like Dirt with a Little grease mixed in uck. I give all of the Ducks and Geese to my Mom.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have no clue where you get your ducks but ares are great....there all corn fed and also of them eat quite a bit of soybean and other crops.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I like the "planked crow" receipe.

Prepare the bird as you would normally. Coat with olive oil and wrap with bacon (the olive oil is the secret!)Pre-heat over to 350 degrees(F). Place the bird(s) on a hardwood plank, (properly aged and dried). Bake for about an hour. Prepare side dishes of choice (wild rice is nice) Chill some wine; most prefer a dry red of suitable vintage.

After the hour remove the centerpiece of the meal from the oven. Throw the bird away and eat the plank. The bacon is optional.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt I love your recipe!!! I might try it some day.

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DennisHP:

I am very suspicious of you! Smiler A 17 pellet gun and you want crow recipes? I think you just want to lure out the pigeons! (And judging from some of the responses you succeeded) Smiler

On a more serious note and as someone who grew up in farm country, I have never seen a good reason why crows are now protected for months of the year -as they are in some states. (My own state of NY and as I read from another poster, also in California. Of course, maybe that figures with the environmentalist lunatics we have in those states)

Posts: 800 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote